Advertisements
Advertisements
I was born in 1984 in California (I no longer live there), and I was adopted. I'm trying to locate my brother, who was born a few years after me and was also adopted. I know only his first name and that his family moved to Missouri (that was many years ago, however).
To make my process easier I'm trying to get ahold of my original birth certificate... is this something that is possible in the state of California or are those records sealed and unobtainable?
Advertisements
I am also a CA born adoptee.
I hope you are well.
Do you know if you or your brothers adoptions were private and if they were do you have any information on your adoptions? Do you have the attorney's names or any other info. I can help you out as much as I can and I have a lot of info as I am in the same boat as you. pm' me if you want to chat.
Take care
There's a lot of info on line about adoption stuff in CA they do have some open counties but they are small and sparcely populated area's for the most part. I don't know about 1984 but mine are sealed. Contact the Department of Social Services in the county of your birth and obtain your non-identifying info. Also go to vital search and pull up your birth certificate. Mine had my orriginal birth cert. listed and I got my mother's maiden name from there. Good luck. Takes about 6 months to get the stuff from CA so be prepared to wait. I got the info to have my records unsealed and sent it in a month and a half ago and am currently waiting for a response. Now seems to be a good time to act on that since the Surgon General's put out some stuff on how everyone needs to know their medical history. Good Luck stay in touch there's lots of valuable info and suggestions on this web site not to mention support.
Not yet. Judge unsealed only the info in my non-id info. It felt like he was playing a game with me. I turned around and re-petitioned last month giving him new information that I have obtained in my search and sent along e-mail correspondence between myself and some b-family. I figure I'm 47 years old and I'm going to make myself a BIG pain in the *** and just keep re-petitioning every time I get a rejection. We will see if the squeeky wheel really does get the grease. I'm still considering hiring a lawyer to appeal but will wait for now to see what this new approach does. Go to vital search.com and check via your mother's maiden name and you might be able to find his birth recorded there. When you've got a birth name you have a place to start. Search angels are a big help too! best of luck in your search!
Advertisements
you can ask for non-identifying info, in my believe is that after 1983, the birtrecords are open for public also for the adoptee, you can request at the superior court in the state where you were born,
Goodluck with iot, and i truely hope you will reunite with your brother!
best regards,
Gaby From the Netherlands.
Some counties, such as Santa Clara, have opened records. Contact the county is which you were born and see what their status is.
Good news, while petitioning the court to open your files to obtain a certified copy of your original birth certificate can be timely, California recognizes the need for "Certified Informational Copies" of birth certificates. These are considerd public information and anyone can obtain one without needing to describe what they are for.
From the website:
[list=1]
[*]Certified Informational Copy: This is also a regular certified copy, but it will have a legend across the face with the statement "INFORMATIONAL, NOT A VALID DOCUMENT TO ESTABLISH IDENTITY." A Certified Informational Copy cannot be used to establish identity. Persons who are not eligible to receive a Certified Copy can receive a Certified Informational Copy.
[/list][indent]If you're requesting a Certified Informational Copy, you DO NOT NEED to provide a Sworn Statement.
[/indent]
[url="http://www.dhs.ca.gov/hisp/chs/OVR/BirthOrderCert.htm"]http://www.dhs.ca.gov/hisp/chs/OVR/BirthOrderCert.htm[/url]
Assisting my husband in his search I went into the local recorders office and purchased the birth certificates for three people who were born on his birthday whom we were considering to be his birth name. It was easy as pie.
I think it depends on your adoption situation. I was adopted when I was almost 4 years old from CA Health & Welfare (my biological 1/2-sister and I were removed from our bmom when I was born and placed in foster care). I attempted to get my medical records when I get married and was told I needed a court order. In order to get a court order, I needed to have a life threatening illness that warranted biological family intervention...
Not every case is the same though.
Good luck!!!
Advertisements
I have known about my adoption most of my life. Yet I have not chosen to search for my birth parents till very recently. I was born Baby Girl Anton on 4/18/1964 in the great state of California. (If my calendar is correct, that's a Saturday.) Centinela Hospital in Los Angeles is located in Inglewood --it's not far from where my adoptive parents lived in El Segundo.
Are these records sealed? Probably, because i can't find them...though i have a birth certificate, it doesn't contain my birth parents names, just the adoptive ones.
Who were they? Both are still living, and have supported my seach entirely. At the time of adoption, i believe I was less than six months old. My birth mother's name was also Anton. My adoptive parents were a barber/signpainter and a homemaker. They divorced back in the 70's-- for some very good reasons, as things turned out. Like every child, I love my parents- though they are, as the saying goes, complicated. I'm deeply grateful and proud to be my mother's daughter.
But they're not the reason I began this search. I'm happily married for thirty years, enjoying a career that I love. I'm a self taught artist with no children but very close family ties. I recently underwent genetic testing with 23 and Me, for reasons unrelated to this search. If you can sew, this might be easy to understand....It's a loose thread that needs tying, I think...something open that wants to be suddenly closed.
It's my understanding that the adoption was handled by a private attorney, though I'm not sure who. (I do have an idea, though, and I'm going to see if it's correct today. Should have thought of it before.) If they are trying to find me, I hope to lead them here...and to thank them, for making a good decision under the worst kind of circumstances. If anyone in this group knows someone who fits this description, please do let me know. I'll private message you with any personal identifiers or details. I thank everyone for your help in advance and hope to tie this thread soon.
Thank you,
BGAnton
1 Liked
 likes this.
your is almost identical to my best friend Linda who was also born in LA area in 1969 her birth certificate has her first adopted family's name on it just a bunch of information from the adoption agency/ orphanage
I'm having a heck of a time trying to find stuff out did you have any success
Thank you,
BGAnton
[/quote]
Last update on November 1, 9:39 am by linda fleck.
1 Liked
 likes this.
Advertisements