Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I'm looking into becoming a foster/adoptive parent in Alabama, and I would like to find out a bit about what the process is like here. If someone could help me out, I would appreciate it. Thanks!
I forgot to answer one of your questions. My SW is going to classes herself at the first of next month so that she can start doing the classes in-home. Her classes are only suppose to be for a couple of days or so. This is all new for her with the in-home classes. I don't know if this is something new for all of Alabama. She did stress though that when it comes to these classes that it's hard getting both parents to come, when it came to the big groups getting together. Alot of it is role playing. So, maybe this is something new for Alabama. I'm not sure but if you like I can ask when she calls.
Oh yeah, you are way on up there aren't you. I had to to look up Alabama counties on the internet. I'm in Washington County. I've been through your area a while back. We were going to see my bother-in-law in TN.
Advertisements
Hello again. I think it's all right to use first names on these boards, as almost everyone seems to do so. Mine is Rebecca. I'm near Huntsville, about 20 minutes south of the Tennessee border. Thanks for all of the info. I'll call the office here and see if I am missing some forms, or if they'll send those to me later. I'm actually single. I've known since I was a teenager that I couldn't have kids, and I've never been able to find someone who would accept that. I may never get married, but I still want to be a mother! I was a little nervous about applying as a single at first, but I talked to a friend of mine who is studying to be a social worker. She reminded me that people aren't exactly falling over themselves to adopt children from foster care, and that having one parent is certainly better than having none! (She also said that single parents are actually preferred in some cases. I'm not certain why, but I think is has to do with some abuse issues.)
I'm glad things went well for you at the office yesterday. Everything will work out right, I know it.
I'm Shelly, nice to meet you. Yeah your right. People aren't fallen over each other to adopt through foster care. Plus you mentioned something about being single. It really doesn't matter, this is what my social worker said. You can give just as much love as a married couple could. All of this is really sad about all of these children in foster care though. Now, I talked with my social worker yesterday and she said that the list that Alabama has. Well, that's all they've got is 62 children. There are so many in foster care in Alabama and all they have is 62. What's up with that? So, we discussed us going outside of the state. I've been looking everywhere. She told me about another web-site but I was so excited when I was talking with her that I forgot what she said. I want to think she said uskids.com but I went to that web-site and I couldn't find any. The one's I've gotten so far on my list are from Pennsylvania, Florida, Texas, and Oregon. I'm still looking. I guess I've got the time since I haven't even started my classes or homestudy. Not to mention that I've got to be through with everything before I can even find out more about these children. I just want to stay on top of things and stay busy. I bet your doing the same thing. Anyway, that's it for now. Chat with you later. I've got to get your e-mail address some how.
[font=Times New Roman]I would also like to keep in touch. Ive felt so much better about everything the past few days since I have someone to talk to whoҒs going through the same thing. I tried to email you through the site. They allow that, but you have to set it up on your control panel. If you want to email me, mines enabled. (I think I can then email you back with my actual address.) I havenҒt entered the chat rooms yet, but I will. [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Its hard to get younger kids, but IҒm not giving up! Maybe our kids just arent available yet. WeҒll find them. Dont worry too much about going out of state. You might have too pay for everything up front, but youҒll be reimbursed the next year on your tax return. (I think the credit is now about $10,000, and you can claim it all, even if you didnt spend that much.)[/font]
Rebecca,
Okay, it's done. I've enabled my e-mail address. I guess you'll have to go first. I'm not sure how all of this works. I agree, I think we are going to stick with Alabama. I found out today that other states require other things that Alabama doesn't but not all. I don't know what states they are. I read one of the forums today that one woman was going to the Florida list of children and she said that they was a 1 1/2 year old baby. It was only in there a week or so. Something to that effect. Anyway, she went ahead and inquired about that child, along with 3 other people. She got the baby. I think I'm going to ask my Social Worker, if she knows, can we go ahead after we are certified to get children that are not yet Legally Free but TPR is underway. It takes a little long but that's okay. I heard it won't be a problem. So that is an option for you and me.
I keep checking through out the day to see if you've replied. You come in at different times. I missed you today by 20 minutes. So, did you turn in your paperwork yet? I'm so excited for you and us. Well have to get together once we have completed both of our adoptions. Anyway, I'm looking forward to hearing from you.
Advertisements
[font=Times New Roman]Shelley,[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Thanks for letting me know about that option. I hadnt thought about legal risk placements. I thought you had to be a foster parent to do that. Sorry its taken me so long to reply. IҒve been keeping odd hours between work and my house hunt. But I found a house! Its small, but really cute. IҒm going to submit the offer today. I havent turned in my paperwork yet. IҒm going to submit my offer on the house this morning, then Ill call DHR and get my questions answered. They may want me to wait until after I close. I hope not. ItҒs only a month, I know, but I want to get this started![/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Anyway, have a good day. I hope to hear from you soon.[/font]
[font=Times New Roman]-Rebecca[/font]
[font=Times New Roman] [/font]
[font=Times New Roman]Oh, I tried to email you and it wouldnt go through. It said youҒd specified that you dont want emails. [/font]
I thought by getting this e-mail from you that it would show your e-mail address. It didn't. You and I need to set a time where we can meet in the chat room. So we can exchange e-mails.
You know you have to be certified through foster care to adopt, right? I found out so much last night about what we are in the process of doing and I can't wait to tell you.
Let me know when you are able to meet me. I'll be checking to see if you have wrote me back through out the day. I hope all goes well with your new home. Congrats. Your almost there.
We should be able to meet up in the chat rooms this evening some time. I'm not sure what time I'll be free yet because I'm still haggling with my lender and my agent to get my offer written up, and it may be tonight before I can sign the paperwork. Do you want to plan on after dinner sometime? Please let me know what works best for you.
I knew we had to be certified through foster care. I just wasn't certain if they had a different certification for adoption and foster care, or if they just certified you for both at once. Thanks for clearing it up.
I'm looking forward to talking to you tonight.
Just tell me a time and I'll be there. Sometimes though I have problems getting in the chat room. It takes a few tries but I'll get in there. Let me know what time. Chat with you soon. Good luck with your house.
Advertisements
Hey,
I've tried to get in the chat room for the last half hour, and it still won't let me in. I'm going to try to find some other way to get you my email address. I'll read over the forum rules and see if I can post it or pm you with it. I'll let you know what I find out.
Have a good night.
-Rebecca
P.S. I got the offer turned in this afternoon!
Hey, are you on line now? I'm still waiting. I got your message. What I'll do is give you my old e-mail address and when you write me I"ll give you my new one. Okay. Write me back. Because I'm on line waiting.
Laughinglion2@yahoo.com
Advertisements
Well, we are just about done with everything. Our last class is tomorrow. I'm so glad the classes are over with. We've still got to do the CPR/First aid class. Which is only 3 hours long. :) Our physicals are next week. Then our SW will turn in everything and then it's the waiting game. We should have been done by the end of June but with the Hurricane and family coming to stay all summer it put things off. I hope all turns out. I wonder how long it will take for the state to match us with a child? I hope not long. I know it's been a while since my last post. I just wanted to catch up with you.
Thanks, Shelly
Lots of luck. It's horrible. We have been trying to adopt for over a year in Alabama (We moved here from Tennessee). The incompetence is overwhelming.