Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello All! I haven't been here in awhile, but I'm back on my search for my bparents. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience dealing with St Vincent's Home for Unwed Mothers in PA. My bmom spent a short time there in 1950. After that, she lived in an apt paid for by my amom until my birth 6-5-50 at St Joseph's Hospital in Philadelphia. Are there any other gray-market babies on this list who would like to chat with me? My impression is that there should be many, many of us born at St Joseph's in that time period.
My obstetrician was Dr. John Lawler. I would love to find others with similar stories so that we could work together to track down information.
My story: briefly!
Bmom, Barbara, was 19, unmarried. Bfather not willing to marry.Bmom was Catholic from New Jersey, father may have been politically involved in New Jersey. She lived in St. Vincents' a short while. Mutual friend introduced her to my future Amom, Marie. Agreement made privately for Amom to pay for apt and medical expences with me being given to her immediately after release from hospital. Dr. Lawler facilitated Barbara entering hospital under name of Amom and signing BC as that person. (forged signature of amom).
No official adoption was done. BC remains original and false.
One person, my uncle, knows who my bmom is but won't tell me! Amom and Dad or now deceased.
Would appreciate any advice, information, input anyone is willing to share with me.
dont know if you are in the philadelphia area but if not and need a body here in this area to go somewhere and get a question answered just let me know & I will see what I can do!
Advertisements
Hello there!
I had forgotten about this site and just now relocated it and read your very kind letter! I hope that you are still reachable! I just wrote to your mother,if her email address is still good as listed below. I would love to communicate with both of you. I do hope that she has had better success than I at searching!
Would you be able to give me the contact information for the agency that now hold the "old" records from St. Vincent's in 1950?
My birth name was: Brenda Marsha Schneider. My bMom was Catholic and perhaps I WAS baptised. Would there be records for that still available?
Thank you so much for your kind reply and I look forward to hearing from you!
Sincerely,
Brenda Taylor
530 320-8402
JoanFarley1946
Hello there : ) I would love for you to share your birth story with my mother. She was the one born Jan.1946 at St.Vincent's hospital and would want to share her story as well. I'm trying desperately to find any information I can. We have made some lead way with contacting cousins etc. some refused to say a word while others have listened and have given us some information.
I actaully live in Philadelphia and last month I went down to 70th and Woodland Ave. ,The hospital was torn down but they have a decent looking homeless shelter placed in the very spot the hospital was. I took photographs since the scenery on the outside area was still the same. Photos of the trees,etc. then paid a visit to the catholic Church that had my mothers baptismal record. After St.Vincent's was torn down the record went to St.Clemments at 7104 Woodland. after St.Clemmens was torn down the records went to this other Parish around the corner. In the past my mother only got a copy with her adopted name on it but I gave the nun my mothers birth name and she gave me her original baptismal record. Although the record didn't have her parent's names on it,we've always suspected and it has been confirmed that her father asked his sister to adopt my mom. But it was never to be known. What I'm wondering is most likely the nuns baptized you before you left the hospital, if there was no adoption then what was the last name you were born with? What names do you have?
my mother lives in St.Louis,MO right now but please email her so she won't feel alone in this endevour... her email is : starlight_afar@myway.com and her name is Pauline
Someone suggested to me that I write to the Archdiocese of Philadelphia and ask them for a sacramental record for my mom to make sure the name she was given when baptized. That letter will be mailed tomorrow. I doubt I hear anything. I have written to St Vincents for information and I have called them twice all with no luck. They give me the song and dance that the person who handles that was out sick and now she has a great deal of work to catch up on. Same story they gave my mom. At least I found her family but there are things I would like to know. If I hear anything I will reply.
I received a reply to my letter asking for a sacramental document and you guessed it, their records do not go back to the 1920's. According to PA law adoption records may be destroyed after 50 years. They did suggest if my mom was baptized at St Vincents I should contact Rev Olivere in Philadelphia for a Baptismal Certificate. Letter was mailed today. We shall see.
aquarius25
I received a reply to my letter asking for a sacramental document and you guessed it, their records do not go back to the 1920's. According to PA law adoption records may be destroyed after 50 years. They did suggest if my mom was baptized at St Vincents I should contact Rev Olivere in Philadelphia for a Baptismal Certificate. Letter was mailed today. We shall see.
Thank you for your comments and information about contacting Rev Olivere. This is the first information I've gotten on whom to contact for St. Vincent's baptisim information. Would you please send me the address you used?
Thanks so much! And the best of luck in your search. Love to hear what you receive from him.
Brenda
Advertisements
Brenda
The address you want is
Rev Michael Olivere
Divine Mercy Rectory
67th and Chester Avenue
Philadelphis PA 19142
hope you get some answers
good luck
Hello, my name is Lauren and I'm 100% new to this site so I apologize if I'm not posting this in the correct spot...My whole life I've wondered who my real grandparents are. I am so much like my father and wonder how much I resemble my grandparents who I've not only never seen, but never head anything about. I just found out yesterday that he was born at St. Vincents. I'm terrified of asking my grandmother any information b/c I dont want her to feel hurt. I'm hoping desperately to find answers from this site. I'm not exactly 100% sure, but I believe I overheard that my fathers real mother (or fathers) name was Hoffbauer. I'm not even sure if the spelling is correct. My grandparents last name who adopted my father is Hart. They are from Drexel Hill. Please email me if any of these names ring a bell. Or, if you have any advice on where to seek aditional help with my search. I cry a lot wondering if I'll ever find them, or if I'll ever know anything about them. I just want answers. I want to know my heritage. I atleast want to know if I have my grandmothers smile. Thank you so much for your help!! My email address is Laurenmarie929@hotmail.com.
You might try Ancestry.com. They offer a 2 week free trial, they have message boards where you can post your information and maybe someone will have some answers. That's what I did. I found my mom's biological family through those message boards.
I believe you might be the sister i've been searching for. My mother "Barbara" was from South Jersey and I know she went to PA and placed a daughter up for adoption around 1948ish.
From what I gathered from family members is that she went to a "Home for unwed mothers", that's all I know. Sounds to close to be chance. Please email me back at knoxrm16 at yahoo.com.
Thank you
grpgrl
Hello All! I haven't been here in awhile, but I'm back on my search for my bparents. I am wondering if anyone out there has experience dealing with St Vincent's Home for Unwed Mothers in PA. My bmom spent a short time there in 1950. After that, she lived in an apt paid for by my amom until my birth 6-5-50 at St Joseph's Hospital in Philadelphia. Are there any other gray-market babies on this list who would like to chat with me? My impression is that there should be many, many of us born at St Joseph's in that time period.
My obstetrician was Dr. John Lawler. I would love to find others with similar stories so that we could work together to track down information.
My story: briefly!
Bmom, Barbara, was 19, unmarried. Bfather not willing to marry.Bmom was Catholic from New Jersey, father may have been politically involved in New Jersey. She lived in St. Vincents' a short while. Mutual friend introduced her to my future Amom, Marie. Agreement made privately for Amom to pay for apt and medical expences with me being given to her immediately after release from hospital. Dr. Lawler facilitated Barbara entering hospital under name of Amom and signing BC as that person. (forged signature of amom).
No official adoption was done. BC remains original and false.
One person, my uncle, knows who my bmom is but won't tell me! Amom and Dad or now deceased.
Would appreciate any advice, information, input anyone is willing to share with me.
Advertisements
PA Adoption Act, 23 PA C.S. Sec 2905 et al, the court is able to release identifying information regarding birth parents when the birth parent/s are deceased. If the birth/adoption took place in Phila., write to the Court of Common Pleas, Family Division, 1801 Vine St., Adoption Branch, Rm 332, Phila., PA 19103 and provide your date of birth and names of your adoptive parents and request identifying info regarding your birth mother and your adoption.
Best wishes in your search.
donnamattei
st vincents not cooperative. actually paid them $50 to get info, which they refused. Born thru St Vincents april 24, 1952, birth certificate said Teresa Marie Wood. I've hit a dead end all these years. Sounds like you have been struggling too.
DONNA, I found it most interesting that I was adopted through Catholic charities St. Vincent's in IL though, and my name was Rhonda Sue Wood. I have to wonder if we were all given the same last name to cover the mother's tracks and make sure we never found anything out.:cheer:
donnamattei
st vincents not cooperative. actually paid them $50 to get info, which they refused. Born thru St Vincents april 24, 1952, birth certificate said Teresa Marie Wood. I've hit a dead end all these years. Sounds like you have been struggling too.
Donna, I am also searching for my birth mother and I was born March 6, 1952 at St Vincent's. Just wondering if our BMs may have known each other. If I find out anything on my side I will pass it on.
I was a Black Market adoptee, adopted in the mid 1930's.
I had nothing to go on but a Baptismal Certificate from St. Agnes catholic church in W. Chester, PA. The certificate was undated, and unsigned, but on the St. Agnes letterhead.
I went to the church to see what records there were. Altho they were found, they were incomplete. I finished them by using known a-family history. The priest had died, etc.
My only help, is that if it is possible for you to go to the church where the baptism took place, (if known) you may be able to get some information from the church records.
In the meantime, altho the records in PA have been sealed, the state is now working to write a new law, and it may be possible for adoptees to view adoption records. If you know where the final adoption took place, you may be able to get some information from the court records.
I wish you the best.
Advertisements
Brenda,
I am wondering if you were ever able to get any baptismal records? I was born at St. Vincent's on August 14th, 1970 and, from the non-ID info I received, I was baptized on August 19th, 1970.
Looking for my cousin who was born in 1965 at st vincent’s… his mom was only 15 when she had him and his original name was randy before it was possibly changed. he was born in 1965 sometime after march