Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey everyone!
Some background:
Right now our family consists of me (25), dh (28), and dd (just turned 1). I grew up in So Cal and went to Disney LAND every year. :) Have been to Disney WORLD (in Orlando) twice, but never stayed on-site. Dh has never been to either Disney.
I am thinking ahead and want to plan a trip for us to Disney World for when Elise, our dd, is between the ages of 2 and 5.
Can anyone share their experiences? I'm especially interested in hearing any thoughts you have on staying within the Disney resort area. Are the deluxe hotels worth the extra money?
Just so you know, I'm thinking about an 8 day, 7 night trip. This is how I imagine the itinerary:
Day 1--travel, hang out at hotel with whatever time is left. Day 2--Magic Kingdom. Day 3--MGM Studios. Day 4--Animal Kingdom for most of the day, down time at the resort for the rest. Day 5--resort day, hang out by the pool, etc. Day 6--Epcot. Day 7--Magic Kingdom again. Day 8--travel.
Does this sound reasonable with a preschooler? Or is it too jam-packed? I really would like to hit the Magic Kingdom twice, so if I should cut one of the other theme parks out, which one? Animal Kingdom, or MGM? (Dh would like MGM better, dd would like Animal Kingdom better, I THINK.)
Would it be worth it to add in an extra day, just to have more down time for dd?
Also.... if you have stayed at one of the Disney World resorts, which one? How did you like it? If you've stayed at more than one, which was your favorite?
I know I'm nuts, thinking about all this when we won't go for a couple years yet... but just can't help it. :o I soooo want Elise and Matt to have the Disney experience.
Any help is greatly appreciated!
Nicole
Disney - my all time FAVORITE vacation! I plan ours way in advance too, you are not nuts!
Ok, your itinery sounds pretty good. I don't think it is too packed, you might want to be flexibe about your "resort day" and put it in the middle more. Or, do a few half park days instead - although half a day still uses a whole day on your pass. Just play it by ear and the HUGE benefit of staying on site is that you can head back to the hotel for a few hours to nap and than back to the parks later.
On site - in my opinion, the deluxe hotels are worth it. Generally, the rooms are a little larger and the atmosphere is just nicer. Wilderness Lodge is AWESOME. The Deluxes also have more sit-down resturaunts, the modeerates and values generally ust ahve food court type places. And, some of the deluxes have child care services on site too. But, the moderates are pretty nice too. Just more spread out usually. So do your homework on where to request a room if you pick a moderate. Many times, with the discounts I mention below, you can get a deluxe room at the rack rate of a moderate.
The value hotels (all stars and pop century) are an incredible value, but are very small and very crowded and we found them to have way more stimulation than we needed. We wanted the hotel to be a place to relax - especially on our down time, which is what it sounds like you want too. The values have cool stuff, but too much of it.
My other tips - do NOT, I repeat, do NOT take the shuttle from the airport to disney. For about the same price you can hire a towncar (many great companies, I don't think I can put names here can I?) and you go, just your family, straight to YOUR hotel. No stopping at all the other hotels. Or, you can have them make a FREE stop at the grocery store. We did that and picked up granola bars, fruit, soda, beer and wine to have in the room. Worked out great.
Disney of late has been having various discount codes for their rooms. Find them and use them. NEVER pay rack rates. Again, there are a few web sites that are great for finding codes and one AWESOME online travel agent. PM me if you'd like the web sites.
Any other questions, ask away, like I said Disney is my thing.
Advertisements
You've gotten some excellent advice already. I agree with the transportation issue especially - we took a limo to the hotel from the airport & they stopped at the grocery store so we could run in & get "stuff". It was wonderful. We made the mistake of not staying at Disney because we thought it would be cheaper (& it was) but the transportation issue was a MAJOR one. The hotel we were at had a "free shuttle bus" to the parks but it only left at 7 & 9 am and only returned at 7 & 9 pm so if you wanted to break up your day or go back early you had to pay taxi fare which for us was a lot!!!! We traveled with myself, my husband, my 19 year old daughter, her boyfriend, my 13 year old daughter, my 4 year old daughter & 3 foster children (ages 4, 20 months & 16 months). We had a great time but that was the only drawback so staying at Disney is something we would DEFINATELY do next time. Another suggestion is when you are purchasing your park hopper pass don't buy too many days. If you plan to go to more than one park in 1 day you still only entered "Disney" once & it only takes 1 day off your admission pass. We bought 6 day passes when we were there for 7 days & came home with 3 days left on each pass - good thing is they never expire & we will certainly use them in the long run but just thought I would mention it. Have fun planning & if you have any more questions I'd be happy to try to answer. PS my kids LOVED Animal Kingdom - I think is was their favorite besides the water park.
Good thinking on the park passes. Right now Disney has a new plan which includes some meals or somthing. A little confusing, but I think a good deal.
One thing we do, is we buy the ones that never expire and buy as many days as we can afford. We do so because we know the price will not be lower on our next trip. I think next trip we almost have enough days to not buy passes this time.
Thanks for all the help!!!!!
Linnie--Wilderness Lodge is the one I'm drooling over. But I'm really not sure we can afford it this time. Maybe for the next trip... ;) I'm leaning towards a moderate right now, one of the Port Orleans ones...
Oh, and THANK YOU for the info about Disney transport from the airport. I never would have thought that getting a private car to take us would be about the same money. That is great to know, and something I'll definitely look into.
Been checking out the meal plans... I think it looks pretty good. Sounds like we'd come out a little ahead by getting it. ???
You were both such a great help, thank you sooooo much!
I haven't looked too deeply into the meal plan thing since we are not going for a while :(
I thought of a few more things...
We enjoyed the character breakfasts. Even though we are not huge breakfast eaters at home and they are a little pricey, the days we did them, we really only had a snack at lunch time, then had an early dinner (which is cheaper anyway) and then a late snack, so I THINK we saved money doing it that way. Our shopping trip saved us quite a bit too in the snack area. We could easily be happy with a granola bar and banana for a snack, but without them would have spent $5 each on something in the park. Definately buy botteled water at the grocery store.
I have not satyed at Port Orleans, but have heard it is nice. Keep in mind, with the discount codes, this fall, Wilderness Lodge standard view was around $129/night. I think the moderates were around $109, so not a huge difference.
Advertisements
I'm not an expert on Disney but I have stayed on site twice in the last year and were gearing up to leave in March for the third trip I love it there it is a very Magical place and the experince is even better when you stay in site. I have three daughters and we stayed at the All Star Movies Resort the first trip we took which was in September of 2003 the resort was a value resort but it was a very nice hotel it had larger than life Buzz and Woody characters that stood tall as the hotel and it even had Andys room from the movie which my husband enjoyed more than my girls it had a wonderful play ground and even a themed kiddie pool which we spent most of our time in. Are most recent visit we stayed at the Pop Century Resort which is also a Value but you wouldn't know it they have really cool themes and a pool in the shape of a bowling pin was right outside our room and it had two kiddie pools. It is the newest value resort and when you pull up you feel at home. You will never meet a bunch of happier employes than the ones you meet at Disney. As for dinning I would deffinetly plan ahead and I mean way ahead Chef Mickeys is a bit expensive but it is well worth it and then theres Prime Time Cafe which is totally cool. well I could go on and on Disney can be expesive but it doesn't have to break the bank we stayed for five days the first time and seven the second I deffinatly would never stay seven agin to much of a good thing isn't always good we had a wonderful time but the longer you stay the more money you spend on food and toys. Meeting the characters is one of the best parts but the lines get long and most kids get tired of waiting and we ended up picture and the kids didn't want to bother after the wait. Mickey seems to be everywhere don't worry if you don't get his picture the first day. Magic Kingdom is the best park by far and has the most rides my husband loves MGM because of the old time feel. And my kids liked the Animal Kingdom it seemed to be the least crowded Epcot is fun but can be draining for the little kids not much for them there.It sounds silly but you really do have to plan your days.
Our days would go Magic Kingdom in the morning back to the hotel swim get dressed to dinner we'ed go then off to MGM for the rest of the night there rides are best at night.
We would always split our days so the kids wouldn't get bored with one park. Most nights we ended up seeing the fireworks at one of the parks. And don't forget there Down town Disney to and it is alot of fun for the shopper in you. Anyhow the cost may be high for a trip to Disney but in the end it is well worth it. We are a family of 5 and spent 1500 on the room and ticket package and 1000 in food once we got there. For our trip in a March we are staying at the Disneys Animal Kingdom Savanah veiw room and that cost us only 2200 for all four of us me my husband our 7 year old and our 4 year old we paid nothing for our two year old she was free. that is including park tickets and other extra bennifits since we are staying on site we gt to stay in the parks later than non resort geust and we get in earlier than non resort geusts. Any way this is a subject I am passionet about so sorry if I rambled but no trip to Disney will be a bad one if your in an onsite hotel they really take care of you and are always happy . Any questions I would love to answer them I love talking about Disney and would love to help answer any questions I could.
Just me Pixey