Advertisements
Advertisements
I think the reality is that having kids adopted save Missourians a whole lot of money. The subsidy we get is a pittance to what it would cost the govt. to keep the kids in foster care. What was explained to us when we were informed of the subsidy agreement (after we agreed to adopt the boys without knowing there was a subsidy) is that the subsidy is to encourage families that might not otherwise consider adopting, to consider it because some of the financial brunt of parenting is bufferred.
Also, regarding special needs, many, many special needs are not apparent to outsiders. Attachment issues, behavioral issues etc may not be visible to acquantences, outsiders or even extended family members (if I had a penny for each time someone has said to me "Your kids are just so amazing considering their past" I would be rich).
Parenting drug exposed children is NOT the same as parenting non-drug exposed children. Also, some disabilities only come out as the children age, go through puberty or experience more difficult school related issues.
Pulling the subsidy now (which is much smaller than in some other states) is only going to hurt the kids and their families. Seems a strange response to me!
Jen