Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I am a a parent who adopted an autisitc princess just 2 years ago. It is a very open adoption--birthmom even lived with us for a few months and we see her often.
Yes, I think that children with Autism can improve socially and developmentally without ABA. It is by no means the only successfull program for A.I. kids. Each kid on the spectrum is unique and responds to diffrent approaches.
We are working with our public school, a developmental/behaviorial MD, and the Hannen Centre to help with our daughter's developmental needs. It is working beautifully.
It is very expensive to have any child who needs special services, but it can be done. We are in no way wealthy, but very good at finding out about resources available to us. It does take a great deal of energy to advocate for a special needs child, but every child has a unique set of needs which are demanding.
Since our adoption was a direct placement, we do not receive any aid from the state adoption or medical subsidy program. I wish there was a better system in place for all parents of A.I kids to recieve the optimal education. Bio-parents of kids on the spectrum don't have the option of recieving subsides or help with medical needs--and perhaps they should.
I know that the financial demands are real when raising a special needs child, and the time demands are equally demanding. It would be very difficult for a singel parent to have the time, energy and resources to raise any speical needs child. Difficult but doable.
I can understand why the lack of support from family, and society in general may lead a bmom to consider an adoption plan for their A.I. child,and it is a shame that our rich nation can 't do more for bio-parents- and adoptive parents of Austic kids.
I have learned so much in the two years we have had our daughter. If anyone wants to PM me about our adoption story, or autism in general, please don't hesitate. These precious angels are my passion!
Thanks for letting me talk about these great kids.