Advertisements
Advertisements
I know this is not the right forum for this topic, but the Ethiopian adoption forum has no one who gets on there. Has anyone btdt? It wouldn't be for at least a year before we would start the process if we decided to , but can we continue to foster and also pursue an international adoption? Also if anyone has any information regarding agencies or anything plz PM about this.. Thanks y'all!! :)
I have a friend that started the process in 2011. They had everything done, and waiting for a referral starting in Dec 2011. At first they were told 6-7 months for that referral, then it became 12 months, then the entire process halted due to Ethiopia looking at their adoption process, then they were told they would get a referral in about summer-fall of 2013, which would be 18 months of waiting. They still have yet to receive a referral, and last I heard they were thinking maybe fall of this year. They are at over 2 years of waiting, and it will be at least 3 years of waiting if they get that referral in the fall.
From what I understand it used to be much easier and faster to adopt from Ethiopia, but there was a huge interest in adopting from there so it became a huge waiting list. And then, because the government wants to make sure the adoptions are being done on the up and up, they are fine tooth combing everything to make sure there's no corruption.
So that's what I've heard.
Advertisements
I have a friend that started the process in 2011. They had everything done, and waiting for a referral starting in Dec 2011. At first they were told 6-7 months for that referral, then it became 12 months, then the entire process halted due to Ethiopia looking at their adoption process, then they were told they would get a referral in about summer-fall of 2013, which would be 18 months of waiting. They still have yet to receive a referral, and last I heard they were thinking maybe fall of this year. They are at over 2 years of waiting, and it will be at least 3 years of waiting if they get that referral in the fall.
From what I understand it used to be much easier and faster to adopt from Ethiopia, but there was a huge interest in adopting from there so it became a huge waiting list. And then, because the government wants to make sure the adoptions are being done on the up and up, they are fine tooth combing everything to make sure there's no corruption.
GreenRoomMama
Or it could simply be the corruption...like the recent federal indictment of several top heads at one of the big agencies...
Kind regards,
Dickons
I have many friends who have adopted from Ethiopia. My suggestion is if it will be a year before you start then wait and see what the climate of adoptions is then. It changes quickly and drastically.
I have a friend who currently has a referral and is stuck and insure if they will be able to complete their adoption because of governmental changes.
I have many friends who have adopted from Ethiopia. My suggestion is if it will be a year before you start then wait and see what the climate of adoptions is then. It changes quickly and drastically.
I have a friend who currently has a referral and is stuck and insure if they will be able to complete their adoption because of governmental changes.
Advertisements
I have friends who adopted from Ethiopia but it has been a few years now. They wanted another one, but due to adoptions being put on hold they are still waiting for a referral, but I think they are still hoping for a sibling, relative, or at lest from the same "tribe" (not sure of the proper term) of their first one, so that could be a huge part of the delay.
I don't see why you couldn't continue to foster in the meantime, but it might depend upon the agency. I know with my agency we have to agree to not use another agency at the same time, but that is for foster to adopt, not sure it it would apply to international adoptions or not...it is a different ball game so I wouldn't think it would. I am sure there are some on here who have done both at one time or another, I hope someone who has BTDT chimes in.
Glad you stopped by this part of the boards...
We have friends with a similar experience to those above. It was a 2 yr wait, so they went with a private domestic adoption this time, and the wait was months not years. Good luck on your decision. It is an emotional dollar. Lasted no matter which way you adopt.
Any place you go with International Adoption is either closed or at a 'standstill' or backlog.
Adoption trends have changed since the early 2000s.
You used to be able to Adopt Infants and Healthy Children from Anywhere!!
Also, if you Foster? Your Foster Child (ren) will need to be accounted for in the US Immigration filing also.