Advertisements
Advertisements
I've noticed the ladybug symbol being used by a lot of china adoption related stuff. Ironically the pattern my wife picked out for the nursery is a dragonfly ladybug combo.
Therefore I am curious to know the cultural significance of the ladybug for China adoption?
As far as I know they are just a sign of luck. In fact some boards have "lady bug sightings". We picked a ladybug/ dragonfly theme as well, I am using Waverly fabrics, similar to those used in a bedding set by Glenna Jean (I love to sew so I'm doing it myself). We picked this theme/fabric while TTC to be gender neutral but it has worked out perfectly with our adoption as well. I'll post pics when I'm done ;)
Advertisements
Tony and Jen,
Ladybugs are known as a symbol of good luck in the Chinese community. In China adoption, it is considered a sign that a referral is imminent when the adoptive parent sees one. Many decide to incorporate this good luck symbol into their child's decor, etc. in celebration of the good fortune which has brought them together.
Unfortunately, I've been told there's nothing connecting China and ladybugs...it's just the unofficial symbol of China adoption (for some people). It began on the "big board" (APC) and kind of mushroomed from there. You'll even find ladybug stuff littering the shopping landscape in Guangzhou.
You'll find out there are kinda two camps--some that love the ladybug symbol, and others that won't touch them with ten-foot poles and find them extremely distasteful and "kitschy" and that they objectify our children. :rolleyes: But then people will pick a fight with about anything.
I have a dear friend who gave me a beautiful ladybug/Asian-theme bracelet she made. I treasure it because of the adoption memories she & I share. I think it's neat to have my eyes drawn to ladybugs and immediately make a connection to our dear children and the dear friends we've made along the journey.
Kay
<><
Wow, thank you all very much for the information. My wife honestly knew nothing about the ladybug theme and just coincidentally picked the pattern.
Good question. I learned early in the process that ladybugs are not a Chinese symbol per se but a popular symbol of China adoption. Definitely kitschy if you plaster them all over everything and dress your child in ladybugs every single day, but I think the fact that China adoption has developed a "symbol" is neat. I was floored when I read on another list recently that some people actually find the ladybug theme offensive/racist/negatively stereotypical. So just be aware of that! It won't stop me from buying a few ladybug items though--I feel the symbol gives us a sense of community as China adoptive families.
Advertisements
Good grief!! :eek: "some people actually find the ladybug theme offensive/racist/negatively stereotypical"
Some people will try to read WAY too much into things!
Okay this made me laugh. I started thinking about the male ladybug in "A Bug's Life" who had a chip on his shoulder because everyone assumed that all ladybugs were female.
I guess some people find it racist if we start seeing all ladybugs as Chinese?
Political Correctness has now spread to the insect kingdom.