Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi there...
I am new here...wondering if anyone can help with the questions I have.
I have been divorced for over 2 years and am now remarried. My 6 yr old loves my husbandso much and has called him daddy for it seems like always. I was awarded sole custody in the divorce (he never even showed up). He has never paid any child support (I really don't want it) and has pretty much no contact. The last time he even called was a year ago. He has lost his drivers license, has no real job to show for (no records) and I don't even know where he lives now. Although I make sure that my daughter is still in very close contact with his family, who is great to her and agree with the adoption and love my current husband.
I guess I am wondering if anyone knows if, under these circumstances, if I will need consent ???
Any input would be greatly appreciated !!
Oh, btw I live in Florida.
Thanks
Jaime
I'm in Washington, so it may be different, but I was in a similar situation here and I still had to serve him with papers and terminate his parental rights before my husband could adopt my daughter. I was told that even though he's had no contact and no visitation, he still has parental rights unless they've been specifically terminated by a court.
Advertisements
I also had sole custody of my children, and we had to terminate bio dad's parental rights. Since we were unable to locate him, we had to publish public notice in a local paper in the county of his last known address.