Advertisements
Advertisements
For our teen they gave $1200 per month. Her needs were to severe and we had to give notice though. She went to a group home.
Advertisements
Each state, and county, varies when it comes to payment of special needs children. Here in NJ, the child in your care would be classified as special needs, and therefore get a higher board rate (around $1100/month). BUT your foster child would only be put into a SHP Home, special needs home, and not a regular foster home (because of the leg braces and shunt).
To be a SHP Home in NJ, there is more training, more paperwork, and so much more than that of a regular foster home. It would be RARE if NJ Foster Care Unit would put a child with these medical issues into a regular foster home (rate of about $550/month).
I would definitely check with your social worker, and/or her supervisor, to find out what the classifications of special needs are in your county and state. I think your child fits these parameters, but that is just my opinion.
Good luck! :rolleyes:
We were just a regular foster home, when they placed , our now daughter with us. The only extra training we got was "hands on" learning from taking care of her. We recieved the special circumstance rate of about 19.00 per day, until we adopted her, then they bumped it up to 42.00 per day. Which she should have been getting all along.
But NOW we're considered a SN home, only for the fact of past experience, didn't have anything to do with additional required trainning.
HI LYLAC, How are you?
I also live in TN. We had our twins as foster children. They were 29 week preemies, one had open heart surgery as an infant and the other had lots of lung problems. We were at a special rate and we were receiving $20.55 per child per day. We have since adopted them, and it was decreased to $18.55 a day. However we did receive adoption assistance and will get to keep health insurance through the state. We also have a now 4 year old daughter that we adopted (placed at 2 days old) and she gets $16.// a day after we have adopted her. So we have an extra income of $1600 per month plus insurance for all thre kids. We were VERY Happy to get that. I had no idea still to this day why we got adoption asistance with our 4 year old. She did not fit any of the criteria, but I am not complaining. :) While the money does NOT make us rich, it has allowed me to be able to be a stay at home mom to my three, and it replaces any income I could bring in.
yanknrebel
Wow, it really varies by state (and country!!!) doesn't it? That's a huge difference in Canada. Here in WA, the basic rate (not special needs) is $368 a month or something around there. Level II is $576 or something. And Level III is $888/month.
I was always wondering why people would do foster care "to make money", as you hear stories about with foster parents starving the kids and other horrible things. Because I thought, with only getting $368/month for basic needs, you really can't MAKE any money! But if some of you are getting over $1,000 a month, I can see where it could possibly attract the wrong type of people to be foster parents! Sorry if that sounds awful... I'm sure you know what I'm saying. :o
Advertisements
We Fostering A 4 Year Old Boy With Severe Autism,ADHD,Hypoplastic Left Heart Syndrome,And Had Overdosed On Drugs Over 10 Times With Severe Brain Damage As A Result,He Is Also Missing A Kidney (Transplant Gone Wrong) We Get Around 1,000$ A Month Which His Needs Cost More But We Do It For The Kids And Not Any Sort Of Money