Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
My SW said that people who are honest on their applications about police records, income, etc...rarely "fail" homestudy. She said the agency is very upfront about the initial applciation paperwork and will state if there is a potential problem.
Beyond that, they want to help you get approved, so if there is anything "wrong" they work with you to correct it. For example, for foster-adopt in AZ, your water temp cannot exceed a certain temp, you must have a fire extinguisher in the kitchen, and any pet waste must be cleaned up. If there is a problem, they send a letter after your first visit that lets you know what you need to work on for the second visit.
Our only "correction" was that we needed to purchase a lock box for my husband's service weapon. It was kept in a closed box, unassembled, with a trigger lock, but that wasn't deemed sufficient. One gun box later, we are all ok! :-)
I was very surprised by how comfortable the whole process was!
we were rejected and failed the state adoption get to know you hour. We were told it was because we were not going to in any way get rid of our dogs and because I didn't want to adopt, only DH wanted to...lol I filled out the papers and gathered the information needed and had to get DH to do his info. They claim one thing but if you butt heads with the sw assigned to your case you may very well be in the same boat we are in. Now I wonder if we would pass from a private agency, if not all the options are taken away and we are left not being able to be parents.
Gina
peadream,
We did not fail a homestudy, but we did have an adoption caseworker that seemed to NOT want to work with us because we knew too much. She didn't like it because we knew the children's last name, when their court hearing was, etc. I guess we intimidated her. She said at the time we weren't married long enough. That was three years ago.
Well, I called her in August of this year...she said she would call back in Sept./She didn't, so I called her. She still has not arranged anything. I emailed the governor's office and her supervisor. Someone said she must not like me...but, it is NOT her job to like me, it is her job to place children. We are going to carry on as if she has been accomodating :p and go from there. We have been VERY nice to her and will continue to do so. When God is ready to place "our" child...all will fall into place.
Good luck and God bless...DO NOT give up. I cried and cried about all of this...but I am assured, that it will work out.
Our cw said that he denied one family as he asked the wife about some personal things about her past that were in her homestudy packet. She broke into tears. He felt that she hadn't worked through the issues and that needed to be taken care of in order for her to continue on to bring a child into the home with their own history. This was for state adoption.
Advertisements
I sure as heck would NEVER get rid of my dogs... under ANY circumstances. We are years away from even trying to adopt, but that could be an issue for me for sure. Dogs are my life- showing, breeding, training, rescuing- and I would never give them up.
We are also concerned b/c my partner is disabled, and has a genetic condition, which is why we wouldn't want to have our own biological kids.
Lots to think about for sure!
PS anyone who WOULD give up their pets should fail in my opinon! Being willing to dump your pets shows a disgusting lack of committement and no sense of responsiblity for living creatures!
If an animal is deemed to be too agressive or the owners have not kept up on shots and medical care, then there are valid concerns for bringing children into the home.
Advertisements
I know in our county we were told that all we can have 6 pets. BUT not Pit bulls or Rot's.
We have two dogs and a cat. Our caseworker had no problems with them at all. I don't know what the case is with other states or counties.
Has anyone "failed" a homestudy? If so, what is the reasoning behind it?
My husband and I failed our homestudy, because they thought we had too much going on to take in the child we wanted to take in.... In other words, they didn't like that my son is autistic, my oldest has ADD, and my middle child has depression.... I guess they don't like families that already have children with disabilities.... Which is bull, because there is nothing wrong or taboo about neuropsychological or mental health disorders.
They said that they don't like that all three of my children are on an IEP or a 504.... What am I suppose to do? Ignore their needs? I take care of my children, and their needs, and I'm not stressed out over it, or I would have never thought of taking in their little sister too. But now my children are going to lose contact with their sister, because DCF in MA has a thing for mental illness and neuropsychological disorders.