Advertisements
Advertisements
My two year old heard Flounder (from Little Mermaid) say the word stupid.
Now she says " Flounders says Stupid" I tried to redirect and say "he said Stop it" but she clearly knows the difference.
How do I stop her from saying "STUPID"? I don't want her using this word.
I was shocked that a Disney Cartoon would use such a word.
Any ideas how to handle this for future unpleasant words?
Thanks,
M
Ignore it! The more attention she gets for saying it the more she will use it. If she gets no reaction at all then hopefully it will disappear.
Shell
Advertisements
I agree with Shell.
A funny story, my daughter heard a word, the f word, she was about 3. My sister was spending the night and I'm sure Karma heard it when my sis and I were talking. Karma went to bed, Jen slept in the spare bed in Karma's room. Jen heard Karma wispering the f word over and over. Finally as she was about to laugh her butt off she asked Karma what she's saying, karma says nothing, then after a few minutes starts doing it again. Jen again, "what are you saying?" Karma again "nothing". LOL, such a funny story now, but I wasnt so happy with her saying it then either. She didnt really say that word at all though other than in the above cute story.
Karma did say the four letter word starting with sh and ending with it a lot after she heard that one, but she was a bit older. I think she was maybe 4? But anyway, she would repeat it out loud and drive me nuts. I told her that it was annoying to hear her say the word over and over again and if she was going to keep saying it she would have a time out and be sent to her room. I told her if she could use the word appropriately in a sentence I wouldnt care if she used it, but saying ANY word over and over was annoying and innapropriate. So I didnt limit it to words I considered bad, but all words. And since kids dont really know how to put most of these words into sentences that pertain to what is going on in their lives (though on occasion Karma would be quite creative when she learned a new bad word) they get bored with them fairly quickly and move along. Stupid is something your child is going to hear alot when she gets to school. Just letting her know when it is appropriate to use the word and when it's not appropriate will help lots more than just telling her to not use it. Though, at two, she may not understand what I told my daughter since Karma was a bit older when she had this phase.
Since she might not understand at two when it's appropriate and when it's not though, but she is old enough to know that certain words make people sad. Maybe telling her in this way will help her to move past the word?
Oh, and stay far away from Junie B. Jones books. Their for kids, kindergarden- 1st grade ages. I was horrified to read some things in there. Stick to the Magic Tree house books. Way way better with the language and also teach something to kids, too. Karma learned all about tornado's and earthquakes... lots of stuff she learned without realizing she was learning anything. Junie uses stupid and puts people down sometimes. One book even said something about smashing someones head... ugh, in a kids book! There is a help me be good series that teaches morals and values without the negative language in junie b jones books.
But that wont be for another couple years yet for you to have to worry about... who knows maybe Junie b Jones will be a boring thing to read by then... one can only hope...
A quick note to say THANKS...I did ignore Star saying "stupid" and it worked just like YOU experts said.
Once in awhile she will say "Flounder says stupid". I say ok and don't even look at her or stop what I am doing.
Thanks gals!
Hugs,
M
M, I am glad it worked. That was a trick I learned when I used to work in child welfare. (Actually I used to do it with my son too when he was young.) I am glad it worked for you as it doesn't always but most often will. Keep up the good work mommy.
Shell
Advertisements
Stupid isn't a bad word in our house, but it is a 'not nice' word.
I let my son know if a word isn't nice. I explain that it makes people feel sad. And he's old enough to know that he doesn't want anyone to feel sad or disappointed.
But, during a tantrum, he will call me stupid among other things, just for the reaction. I just don't react to it at that time.
I wouldn't mind words that kids pick up around, she just has to learn that people may get offended and get mad at her for saying them in front of them.
Stupid is not such a bad word anyway, I could think of a few other colorful words which are a whole lot worse. It's a matter of the first ammendment, and what they learn to be acceptable.
Big Dreamer
My two year old heard Flounder (from Little Mermaid) say the word stupid.
Now she says " Flounders says Stupid" I tried to redirect and say "he said Stop it" but she clearly knows the difference.
How do I stop her from saying "STUPID"? I don't want her using this word.
I was shocked that a Disney Cartoon would use such a word.
Any ideas how to handle this for future unpleasant words?
Thanks,
M
You think you've got it bad! My wife is pregnant and at a get-together on the weekend my 2 year old lifted the front of my wife's shirt and said "Mummy's having a baby".....she then lifted my shirt and patted my belly saying "So is Daddy"...........stupid is nothing to worry about....
Advertisements
I think this happens with every child it is better tell them that use other word instead crazy, wacky instead of stupid and also tell it's a word that can hurt feelings .