Advertisements
Advertisements
I've written a novel called [url=http://www.geocities.com/blenderman666/]Record Producer from Dimension X.[/url] I'm posting it for free on my website. It's a satire of the music business. It's about a female metal band that poses as a crappy pop group in order to get a record deal. They become famous and cause worldwide chaos.
During a blackout in New York City, the main characters have an evening to kill, so they play a little one-upmanship game, seeing who can tell the most frightening true story. Jasmine, leader of the band, tells about how she was locked up at age 16, in a place called "Oakton Bible Academy." Some of it is based on my own experiences, and some of it is based on the stories of other psychiatric survivors.
This story might make you uncomfortable ... you may call me a liar ... but places like Oakton really exist, and they are TYPICAL of the psych hospital industry. Thanks to a Supreme Court decision in 1979 (Parham vs. J.R.), minors can be incarcerated for NO reason, for YEARS at a time. This opened the door to legalized child abuse. The industry caters to abusive parents, and takes the abuse to new extremes.
Thousands of kids are getting locked up for "crimes" like skipping class, smoking cigarettes, refusing to go to church, swearing, et cetera. You can't instill character in a child by terrorizing, abusing, and humiliating him. All of this "tough love," "scared straight," "boot camp" garbage DOESN'T WORK. Raising good kids is a lifelong task, and there are no quick fixes.