Advertisements
Advertisements
I am quite tired today! My darling typically goes to bed at 11:00 or 11:30 pm and sleeps until 7; this morning, she awakened at 2:00 am. She insisted on staying awake for almost two hours. She wanted to discuss each bone in the human body, review the function of each organ (she does the talking and asks for reassurance) sand finally wanted verbal confirmation about the physical location of every place we visit during the week. She knows the physical addresses, street intersections and close/next to landmarks. She said, "such and such is at X and Z, right, next to Y, right?" This seemed never ending. I think, I, who needs little sleep myself, not because I am bright, but because of insomnia, :D was exhausted. Several times she asked me, "mama, mama, are you listening. did you hear my question, because I think your eyes are closed."
I would love to give her a drink of milk, lie down with her, even read a story and snuggle her back to sleep. After several years of this, I know that the only approach is to engage her rather than try to explain why we should converse in the morning.
She awakened at 7:30 like clockwork and said "thanks for talking about the human body with me last night mama."
I know some of you have experienced this. Is she going to slow her brain down and become able to wait until the morning in the coming years?
We attended a meeting last week with parents of gifted kids. Many of them discussed how little sleep their children function well on; it was not encouraging for me. :o
Hey, LOOK! Another gray hair! :D I'm very new to the world of gifted children. I've known for sometime that apparently our daughter is somewhat advanced, mainly because people stop us everywhere we go like we are street performers to watch my daughter (who is very small) act, talk, and reason like an adult. I'm really not joking! I'm at a loss on who to talk to about it because my closest friend acts as if I'm just bragging about my dd. So, I just don't discuss it with any one but my hubby and my mom and all three of us are in the dark on how to lead this precious little precocious one. How were you able to find a meeting with parents of gifted children? Also, is it common for a gifted child to require less and less sleep? This is what we are encountering right now. I guess, also, I'm not sure if our child is gifted, but she seems to fall into the 'criteria' of what we have been reading. I guess I just don't know what this means to her to be 'gifted.' Is it necessary to get her tested at an early age, or can we just see how she will be doing in a few years. Do they sometimes outgrow these abilities? Thanks for listening and I hope you can catch up on the z's. : D
Advertisements
[font=Comic Sans MS]I am very new to admitting my child may be gifted...I too got tired of people thinking I was a proud Mommy (which I am BTW) who was bragging. I really wasn't bragging, just looking for someone to talk to. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]I also have my own 'issues' with the label as I was labeled as gifted in high school...something I hated and denied. I am probably simply gifted...with a great memory. I feel my daughter may be much more gifted than I ever was or am. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]So, I expect to find myself here quite often...looking for advice and insight and basically 'someone to talk to...who understands.' [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Thanks for reviving this board Red....and get some sleep! [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Karen[/font]
11:00 and dh and babes are all asleep, rather early at our house. Per usual, I, with inability to sleep, have much unimportant stuff to say. :p
About bragging, it is all in the perception, people I know generally talk way more about their kids than I do, especially in a group. What happens is that people presume bragging and point the ugly finger at you because of what you share, or really just what THEY see and hear. In fact, you don't even have to speak, they just hear the crazy adult things that comes out of this tiny mouth, and they point that ugly "bragging" finger at you. It is just weird, but I have to tell you that after two full years of this, I am both accustomed to the "weirdness" of friends and what others think. We do not have to brag, our kids are who they are. Beside there are really better ways to get attention if that is what one is seeking. :p That is the great thing, with us, we know that it is sharing our experiences, it is part of the understanding.
edited: sending this part in private message.
About testing: I have read a lot. It is recommended by most professionals that a gifted child be tested around first or second grade, though often occurs much later than that, so that they might access appropriate education. However, if HG is suspected, it is advised to "know for sure" through testing as soon as possible, (between 2 and 4) because it may really dictate how one moves to expose his/er child. Testing is generally done by a psychologist, one accustomed to testing children. Standard tests used: The Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children or WISC III or the original Stanford Binet seem to be most commonly used. I think testing is really personal and you have to ask yourself why you want to know, is it for access to services (important) and how will it alter what you are currently doing? Just my opinion, I would not do it with a two year old but see how she is doing in another year, it may become necessary.
Mom, Hopefully you read the article I published. No, there is no "outgrowing" this. Someone at the park, when my dd was 19 months old, out of the blue after eavesdropping on our conversation said, "how long has she been communicating like that?" I said, "since she was 11 months old." She responded, "you know that they all even out, catch up by the time they reach kindergarten and in a few years no one would know how mature she was." Um okay. Wrong on all counts! Now really, why did that lady even talk to me, as we were having a perfectly charming discussion without her imput and when she did choose to visit, why would she say that having never seen us, knowing nothing about us. Oy!
I, too, am still quite new to this arena but did some voracious investigation when it hit me like a brick wall over a year ago. It had been coming but I was really really hesitant to discuss; mostly I have continued doing what I was doing which is guiding, laughing and sharing every single day with my daughter (of course, now by precious Buddha too!) However, this awareness has so enabled me to better understand her.
On an entirely different note, we went to see Wedding Crashers tonight. (my dear parents kept babes) It was hysterical with some poignant moments. Okay, I like raunchy humor, but who could not think that was funny! Vince Vaughn is his usual charming self with brilliant delivery of side splitting dialogue. I think I am going to rent Swingers again this weekend. There is a brief cameo of James Carville, whom you gotta love. Christopher Walken was his usual weird but strangely charming self. Best line: OW: You are not that good of a dancer. VV: You know I am a phenomenal dancer. You are ****** lying through your teeth. Still cracking me up! Maybe that means I should sleep. Sweet dreams ladies.
Good morning, all! How was your weekend? Do you realize there are only 138 days until Christmas? That is my absolute, most favorite time of the year and I can't WAIT! I remember her first Christmas...I made ornaments out of home-made play-doh clay stuff and mashed her hand into them to make an imprint. However, all she wanted to do was squish and squeeze, so I had to wait until she was asleep (she was a HEAVY sleeper; now, not so much) and then I would make the imprint. Hubby got a picture of it. Nice memory. Red-going back to your last post about movies (Wedding Crashers), has anyone seen Must Love Dogs? I'm not much into romantic comedies, but I ADORE John Cusak, so we had to go see it. It was a pretty good movie. A little sappy and a VERY goofy ending, but it was pretty cute. Anyone else seen any movies, lately? This is only the second or third movie we've seen since dd was born, we just don't get out as often as we should. Do you all find that you have the time to get out as often as you thought you would after children? As goofy as it is, dd is still so new to us, even after 2 years that we just enjoy spending as much time with her as we can. Well, I just wanted to check in, touch base, and see how everyone was doing!
hey Mom, I am glad to see you. This is exactly how we felt! It does not sound goofy!
As goofy as it is, dd is still so new to us, even after 2 years that we just enjoy spending as much time with her as we can.
We take our kids to pretty much everything/every place we go. We gave up nice restaurants three years ago and go for low key family style places. We want to spend this time with our kids and take them to live music shows every single week. This weekend we went to a world music show with belly dancing, which I love; and my dd loves anything music related.
We were married for several years and did not consider becoming parents. We ate out at 3:00 am, played pool and darts, drank Guiness and traveled a lot. When S came we were ready to stay home. When we travel again, we will take them with us, no matter the place.
We saw our first movie when she was a year old, I think, My, Myself and Irene. Last summer, when dd was two we went to quite a few movies and dinner occasionally because my parents were here (they live 1/2 year next to us, the other 1/2 across the country) and she loves to hang out with them. We have often said that we have the funniest, most entertaining, interesting person we know at home, why would we need to go out! Now we have the two funniest!
I also adore John Cusack; I read some not so favorable reviews on the movie and do not care for romatic comedy. I am glad that you liked it!
K, are you there? We must discuss tantrums at some point. Did/does your dd have them - the crazy intense, no redirection in the world can circumvent? Someone addressed the concern that their child experienced night terrors/mares on another thread. DD had night terrors beginning about 12 months. Of course, intense headbanging had begun at 10 months as a result of stubborn will and determination to do things her way, though she was not mobile but rolled or banged on her crib. That coupled with my certainty that dd was having seizures was a lot! For us tantrums were not often but incredibly long and intense. There was no trigger other than her seeming expectation of routine/route/plan.
What has been your experience? And has it changed as aging occurs?
Advertisements
redhedded
K, are you there? We must discuss tantrums at some point. Did/does your dd have them - the crazy intense, no redirection in the world can circumvent? Someone addressed the concern that their child experienced night terrors/mares on another thread. DD had night terrors beginning about 12 months. Of course, intense headbanging had begun at 10 months as a result of stubborn will and determination to do things her way, though she was not mobile but rolled or banged on her crib. That coupled with my certainty that dd was having seizures was a lot! For us tantrums were not often but incredibly long and intense. There was no trigger other than her seeming expectation of routine/route/plan.
What has been your experience? And has it changed as aging occurs?
[font=Comic Sans MS]Ahh the tantrums. Yes, she attempted the head banging tantrum almost immediately upon her adoption (11 months) but was smart enough to know that banging her head on the tile floors would hurt, so she pretended to bang her head. :rolleyes: Her tantrums are almost always out of frustration of not getting her way (not in a bratty sort of way...more incapable of doing whatever) AND being either hungry or tired. I can usually reason with her...have always been able to do that...when she is just frustrated. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]She was a breathe holder...she even turned blue a few times..this was also immediate upon our bringing her home. That stopped prior to 2. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]We tried time outs at like 15 months for biting (her bad toddler behavior of choice) and she sat in a chair for over 45 minutes, playing with a sippy cup...figuring out everything that there is to know about one. Redirection was tough also because she needed 'finality' with everything...still does. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Taking things away never worked either because she could reason away and knew eventually she would gets things back...so we simply talk to her most often. Explain the what's and why's....[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]It has gotten better with age but when she does meltdown now...it is bad. So I try to avoid the situations by explaining everything....she does do transition well...so we need to keep her on track for any changes...even things like stopping to eat dinner can become an issue if she is involved in something else.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]~~~~~~~~[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]We have been busy so I haven't posted much...plus I have to come to terms with this whole gifted thing....I was also labeled as gifted and I really did not want this for her...I'll explain in another post but it has always been tough being 'different.' [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]~~~~~~~[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]It's funny, DH and I NEVER go to the movies...we have been together 8 years and have never once gone. And we too sit in amazement of our kids, still! [/font]