Advertisements
Advertisements
My amended birth certificate from the state of North Carolina states I was born in Hickory, North Carolina, in Catawba county on December 3, 1964. I know it was common practice for the state to falsify this information, so I'm pretty sure none of it is true except for maybe the birthdate. I was placed in the care of the Children's Home Society of NC in Guilford county (Greensboro) as an infant and they farmed me out to a foster family in Asheville. The final adoption was done through the Guilford County Court in January of 1965. The birth mother was 31 when she had me. She had a 5 year old daughter at the time that she kept. My birth mother also had a twin sister. Both of them were put into foster care when they were around 12. She describes the birth father as being 29 when I was born and in the military. CHS tried to contact him but he never responded. I am hoping NC law changes soon so I can learn the truth about my existence. The CHS now offers to try and find my birth mother to see if there is any updated medical info etc or if she agrees to releasing info or a reunion, but I cannot afford the fee. Seems to me it would be easier for them to just give me the information I am seeking and let me do my own searching because I'm more than capable and willing if I only had something to go on! :grr:
Advertisements
Your date of birth will be correct; the place of birth on your amended birth certificate would have been changed to show you were born wherever the adopting parents were living at the time of the adoption.