Advertisements
Advertisements
The Dr. put Brielle on amoxicillin for a sinus infection (fancy name for a cold, I guess) and when she takes it, it wipes her out and she sleeps a LOT. Does that stuff cause drowsiness?
Sorry for the silly questions, but this is our first child and we dont know a LOT of stuff. LOL. It IS a learning experience though.
Advertisements
Amoxicillin, depending on the mg, and yours is probably 250 mg, but may be 500mg, it can make some children sleepy. It affects Luke the same way, too. He didn't have diarrhea, tho. I think when we got up to the heavy duty antibiotics like Augmentin, or Cephlex, all of my children were sleepier and more prone to that.
You'll figure it all out as time goes by and before long, you'll be a pro at this "parent" stuff!
I hope Brielle feels better.
Judy
For what it's worth...a sinus infection isn't a cold even though the symptoms might seem somewhat similar. A cold is caused by a virus and there's no way to treat it except to let it run its course and to alleviate symptoms as best you can. For adults a cold will tend to make you feel tired all over. Not to get too graphic, but the sinus discharge tends to be clear/white in color.
A sinus infection is caused by bacteria (hence, the use of antibiotics to treat it). For adults you usually feel okay in the rest of your body with a sinus infection but you'll be stuffy and have major face/headaches. My husband knows my sinus infections are really bad when I get to the stage I call "I want to amputate my face!" Again, not to get too graphic, but the sinus discharge tends to be dark yellow/greenish in color.
Sinus infections can be difficult to get at so don't be surprised if it takes more than one round of antibiotics. The sinus cavities are very difficult to penetrate. If anyone in your family has chronic sinus infections, make sure there aren't environmental irritants. Things to do that might help:
1. install a humidifier on your air system and keep the air a little bit more humid than it had been (this will help prevent tiny cracks in the sinus cavities which make for great bacteria breeding grounds)
2. have your duct work cleaned (if your ducts are anything like ours were this might also make your air system run more efficiently!)
3. check for mold in the house
I hope Brielle's sinus infection goes away quickly and that this is just a one-time thing.
Best wishes,
Devora
Peyton was put on it and he would take 3 plus hour naps........after three days caused terrible gas pains and the big "D". He woke up cramping in the night and was a mess until one day off.........he is now on cefzil.........good luck!
Advertisements
Unless you are seeing what seem like negative reactions to medicine, don't worry too much. Every child reacts to medicines in VERY different ways. Some get sleepy on medicine that says it can cause jitters, some get wired from the "may cause drowsiness" medicines. No two are going to react the same.
It's taken me several years of this being a dad thing to figure that out and relax a lttle, so don't feel bad at all!
Sorry to hear Brielle is not feeling well. Noah (my bio 5yr old) is allergic to Ammox. but I never noticed that antibiotics make him sleepy. He's been on and off so much since about 5wks due to ear infections that his body is just so used to them (actually immune to alot). He has now started the "sinus infection thing" though and has had to be on extended doses (3-4wks) of meds to shake them. I hear this is very common with sinus infections, sounds like you may already have personal experience with that though if you got them often yourself. Hopefully her's will clear up and this will be it for her but just make sure you keep a close eye in case it acts up again, they can be very stubborn, especially in little ones who can't say "my head hurts" or "I don't feel any better".
Good Luck, ((((HUGS))))) to little Brielle!!!!
It just occured to me that you are asking about the effects of Amoxil and asking about Brielle's "pimples". Did she break out prior to taking the amoxil? If the rash appeared afterward I would call your doctor and discuss.
Again, I hope she feels better soon. Poor little bugger. Don'tcha just hate to see her suffer! :(
I just wanted to echo what Steph suggested. If the pimples came after you started the amocillin, please call you doc right away.
Our daughter was on amocillin at 3 months old for an ear infection and on day 10 broke out in a pimply looking rash on her torso (almost like chicken pox). Turns out it was a reaction to the medication and she hasn't taken it since (she's 6, now).
Hope little Brielle is feeling better soon!
Kim
Advertisements
yeah, she started the "pimples" at the Marriott. I noticed the first one or two the 2nd day she was with us and they just kept coming. She didnt start the ammox. until Friday.