Advertisements
Advertisements
It depends on where the child is living.
In my daughter's orphanage, disposable diapers were used. Although my daughter was given to me stark naked under a thin playsuit -- no diaper, no split pants -- I soon found out that Becca was not toilet trained and definitely wanted, and was thoroughly familiar with, disposable diapers.
In many orphanages, even very young children are seated on potty chairs until they "produce", at regular intervals. They are also taken to the potty if they show signs of having to "go". Some may wear regular clothing, with pants that must be taken down. Many, however, wear split pants, which make it easier for the caregiver to put the child on the potty. This basically is the Chinese way of toilet training.
In some Chinese cities, traditional families keep their children in split pants, and it is not considered bad form if a child squats in the road to relieve himself/herself -- whether urinating or having a bowel movement. However, I can't really picture this happening in Xiamen, my daughter's city, which is very Westernized and clean.
In very poor orphanages, there have been stories about children with rags for diapers. But I suspect that you won't find this sort of thing unless you get a child from a very remote orphanage that is new to international adoption and hasn't benefitted yet from the orphanage donations.
Some Chinese babies will have medical problems, such as parasites, that affect the digestive system. They will have them, whatever sort of approach is taken to managing the young child who isn't toilet trained. Even a child in disposable diapers could come home with Giardia or Ascaris, for example.
Sharon
Sharon