Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi!
We are very early in the process and have wondered about learning some Chinese. We were wondering which to learn - Mandarin or Cantonese. As I said, we are in the very early stages (are still deciding on an agency and researching things) - so maybe the answer to this question would be more obvious down the road apiece, but we wanted to get feedback from y'all. You can e-mail or PM me with info. Thanks!
Kylie
I have several neighbors from China (they speak both Mandarin and Cantonese) ) They told me to learn Marndarin as it the most widely used. Also, some provices and or villages have their very own slang that only people who live there can understand. I am using several different Chinese language CD's and I am orfering Muzzy. I heard Muzzy was great. If you order it, buy it through Half The Sky.org
They are a charitable orgainization that has done wonderful things for the children of China! They build Preschools, provide medical care, sponsor foster care and many other things. Please check out their web site.
Advertisements
Hi Kylie,
Mandarin is the most widely understood/spoken language in China... but there are many dialects throughout the different provinces of China, so you won't necessarily end up traveling to a part that will speak the language you've learned. Mandarin is the safest bet, but just be aware that you could very well adopt a child who understands only Cantonese or a different version altogether! Just have fun with it... you can always learn Mandarin as a family once you've returned back home... until then, learn what you can and I'm sure they'll appreciate your efforts! :)
I say go for it and have fun:) I just recently registered for a chinese beginner course myself. Even if I learn a little, it will be alot more than I know right now. Besides its a great way to pass some of the wait.
I really stink at learning foreign languages, but I ordered the Pimsleur Mandarin starter pack. The starter pack has 4 tapes (also available in CD's) - the big set is very expensive. I listened to the tapes on my long commutes to and from work and they really helped me alot when trying to converse with people I met while in China.
You can also try to borrow the tapes/cd's from you local library.
Advertisements
I ordered CD's that were more specifically geared toward adoptive parents. Our daughter will be almost three when we get her and I wanted to learn enough to be able to comfort her (I love you, it's ok, you're safe, can I hold you?, I'm your mommy, I'll always be your mommy) and understand basic words (eat, sleep, poop, pee, thirsty). We know where our daughter is, but can only guess that she understands Mandarin. So far I can probably say about 60 different things. (Including Mommy's TIRED! ;) )
PM me if you'd like the name of the CDs.
Brandy
I just wanted to say that I started studying mandarin at the very beginning of the year, so I would be pretty good at it by the time we went to China and brought our daughter home. 2 weeks ago I found my little girl on a waiting child list. She is in a cantonese speaking area and not only that, she and her caregivers speak a dialect of cantonese that I've been told is even hard for native cantonese speakers to fully understand. I will be in the cantonese speaking area the entire 2 weeks. All the mandarin I learned is pretty much useless except to show off at the local chinese food restaurant.
You know, I honestly thought that after learning all of that mandarin (I'm by no means fluent, still like high novice or low intermediate, but it still feels like a lot!) I was going to steer clear of petitioning for a child who did not speak mandarin...but when I saw her, I don't think I even paid one iota of attention to the language she spoke. She was just mine, and it didn't matter a bit.
Marsha
Advertisements
Thanks so much for all your input, ideas, etc.! It is always so helpful to hear other's experiences - we are still deciding which would be most helpful, and I know you always run the risk of picking the one you will need the least. But good for you, learning all the mandarin that you did! And I have heard so many people say that when they see their daughter, they just know she's theirs - it's exciting to think about as we begin our journey - hopefully we will have an agency chosen by the end of this week and maybe an application filed sometime this month (the sooner the better!). Thanks, and many blessings to you and your daughter!
Kylie