Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Encopresis, which some people mentioned, is one possibility. And it is very treatable, once you understand that the problem is actually chronic constipation.
However, the level of apathy you are describing suggests that something is going on, beyond toileting issues.
I would definitely wonder if your son has a problem such as depression. Yes, depression. It does occur in children, more commonly than many people recognize. Some doctors say it occurs in 5% of children, and it may occur more frequently in adopted children. And it, too, is treatable.
I would STOP blaming or punishing your son or calling the soiling a behavior problem. I would strongly doubt that it is.
If it is a problem with chronic constipation, it can be resolved with an initial cleaning out (enemas), ongoing use of a stool softener, increased water consumption, increased fiber consumption, decreased contipating foods in the diet, and bowel training.
If it is depression, it can be dealt with by therapy and, if necessary, medication. And both encopresis and depression could be going on at the same time. When your body is playing tricks on you, and everyone thinks it's your fault, it's easy to become depressed, especially if you already have low self-esteem.
The first thing you should do is ascertain whether encopresis is a factor. Your pediatrician doesn't seem to be much help, so I would consult another doctor, who is more familiar with the problem and its treatment.
The second thing you should do is to familiarize yourself with the issue of depression in children. It is worth having your son looked at by a therapist, especially one who deals frequently with adopted kids.
Believe me, you CAN resolve this issue and have a happier son.
Sharon