Advertisements
Advertisements
We hope to bring home our daughters in March or April sometime. So I'm busy making my list of things to buy--and it's long! They will be almost 2 and 4 when they come home. I am definitely doing a bottle for the 2 year old and possibly for the 4 year old (at night only for her). Can someone recommend a good bottle for "older" children? I have no clue what to buy. Fast flow nipples I'm assuming? I like the playtex ones with the drop-in liners (for ease of cleaning). Just thought someone might have some advice on this. The younger child is about the size of an 8 month old right now. I know she does take a bottle several times a day at the orphanage.
Also, formula? Did you buy this in Russia? Or in the U.S.?
Also, how about pacifiers? Are these a help with adopted children or a hindrance? (would only consider this for the 20 month old)
Thanks for any advice you can offer!
I liked the Playtex bottles with the liners too. My daughter was 12 months when she came home and would not take a pacifier. In my opinion, I don't think you'd want to introduce a pacifier to a 2 & 4 year old since it would interfere with speech. Hope you get your girls home soon.
Liz
Advertisements
[font=Comic Sans MS]We used Advent bottles for both kids and never had a problem. I use (mainly) Advent binkies for Alex...Arianna still prefers her 2 fingers...[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Alex *needs* his binky and due to his attachment...he can still have it.[/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]For formula...we switched then immediately to formula...and were very lucky that neither had bad reactions. [/font]
We tried the playtex bottles but Grace wouldn't use them after the second day. We ended up using the tri flow nipples which are smaller. I would recommend taking a few different styles and flows to Russia.
Grace used a pacifier in the orphanage and we would have had a tough time if we hadn't brought one to Russia. She prefers the "bulb" style pacifiers as opposed to the orthodontic type. We bought several Russian brand pacifiers (which were the bulb type) just in case she wouldn't switch to the American ones.
We used the formula in Russia. The tough part was reading the can! I believe it is one scoop to one ounce of water on their formula. We switched her over gradually when we got home. Good luck!
We also prefer the playtex bottles with liners. We also bought the fast flow nipples. We had no issues with the bottle other than it took about two days for our baby to get the sucking down. The bottle they used in his orphanage had a hole the size of your pinkie as the nipple hole! :(
He loves his bottle!
Nichole
Although the children are behind developmentaly, being prepared is good. You also may find that within a couple of weeks they do just as well with a sippy cup. Have both. In the orphanage they go by what works easiest and fastest.
Good luck. Prepare for the worst pray it's the best!
Advertisements
My son, adopted at age 14 months, had no interest in a bottle whatsoever. He had no patience for it. He had been drinking out of a cup, and didn't want to put the sucking effort into using a bottle.
He would use a sippy cup if we took the valve out of it. After we got home, we were able to put the valve back in, but at first, he just didn't seem to get the point of sucking to drink.
My daughter adopted at age 24 months could drink from a tea cup without spilling a drop. She fed herself. She showed no interest in baby food or baby cereal, being much more interested in heavier cereals and chunkier more flavorful food.
You might want to wait until you get back home to try to introduce bottles at night time to older kids. This will also help you because you want to try to keep them on the same diet (more or less) introducing new foods only one or two at a time.
My guess is neither of your children will have been on formula for close to a year. Tea with milk, kefir, and fruit compote are probably their daily beverages. They probably eat soup thickened with bread, cut up fruit, and potatoes. Porridge and yogurt. Sweet breads for snacks. All of those things you should be able to get in Russia at the markets.
Best of luck!
hadams
My son, adopted at age 14 months, had no interest in a bottle whatsoever. He had no patience for it. He had been drinking out of a cup, and didn't want to put the sucking effort into using a bottle.
He would use a sippy cup if we took the valve out of it. After we got home, we were able to put the valve back in, but at first, he just didn't seem to get the point of sucking to drink.
My daughter adopted at age 24 months could drink from a tea cup without spilling a drop. She fed herself. She showed no interest in baby food or baby cereal, being much more interested in heavier cereals and chunkier more flavorful food.
You might want to wait until you get back home to try to introduce bottles at night time to older kids. This will also help you because you want to try to keep them on the same diet (more or less) introducing new foods only one or two at a time.
My guess is neither of your children will have been on formula for close to a year. Tea with milk, kefir, and fruit compote are probably their daily beverages. They probably eat soup thickened with bread, cut up fruit, and potatoes. Porridge and yogurt. Sweet breads for snacks. All of those things you should be able to get in Russia at the markets.
Best of luck!
Following-up on hadams suggestions, I suggest trying to maintain the pre-Gotcha Day status quo as much as possible, at least until you are home. Then gradually transition your daughters into a North American feeding regimen.
If they are drinking from bottles now, keep them on bottles. If the the older child is not drinking from a bottle now, IMHO don't start her up again.
Same thing with the pacifier. Ashton Beauregard was just shy of 13 months old on Gotcha Day. He never had a pacifier I would have given him a Browing Automatic Rifle with 200 rounds of ammo before I started him on a pacifier.
You can buy bottles and nipples in Russia. At least in Moscow and Orenburg there were plenty available, especially Avent brend bottles and accessores (see photos in this post: [url="http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=206190&page=3&pp=15&highlight=Season"]http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=206190&page=3&pp=15&highlight=Season[/url]). We took a couple of bottles with us and an assortment of nipples. The No. 2 nipple seemed to be the right speed and AB stayed with that for a while. Once we got dialed in with the bottle and nipple AB liked, we went to a pharmacy and bought more.
As hadams mentioned, the childen in Russia do not usually drink formula at the age of your children. It's reputed to make the children sick when they traniton to it, especially if the transition is abrupt. Not something you want in Russian public places nor in planes, trains, or automobiles.
Staying with the maintaining the pre-Gotcha Day status quo, try to feed as similarly as you can to what they ate in the chidren's home. You woun't be able to do it 100%, but the closer the better.
In his bottle, AB drank бифидок (pronounced: "biffeedock"). Its a kind of sour mik. More about бифидок in this post: [url="http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=205659&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Season"]http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=205659&page=2&pp=15&highlight=Season[/url]
You can read more about my experience with this stuff by reading the threads here: [url="http://forums.adoption.com/showthread.php?t=207414&highlight=index"]Nungesser's Retrospective & Index to Russian Adoption Travel Threads[/url] or in the archives of my blog.
[font=Comic Sans MS];) Just a small word of advice about not regressing back to bottles...and I know you know this doozer...if you have a child who is either struggling with attachment or ends up attachment disordered...it is highly recommended by all attachment experts to regress the child...infant, toddler, or even preschooler back to the bottle and many other baby activities...since our kids missed out on that in the institutional setting. It does worlds of good for many of our PI kids to be babied...worlds of good. [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]I like what someone said...sorry I can't remember who...about why we hold/carry our PI kids so much...and this is not an exact quote...but... 'After spending the 1st 2 years of her life in a crib...don't you think she deserves to be held now?' [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Stepping down from that soapbox of mine...;) [/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS]Now, if your child is adjusting well...then there may be no reason to regress them back if that is what you are comfortable with...and the child is comfortable with.[/font]