Advertisements
Advertisements
I am watching lifetime movie network right now and this movie is amazing. It has to do with kids with RAD and attachment disorders. It even has all the holding stuff in there. It is called Child of Rage. It comes on again at 5:45am And I plan on taping it. I think this will become a movie I watch and watch. I hope you guys can catch or tape so you can watch it. It is lifetime movie network not their reg. channel.
I just watched it and I can't even imagine going through any of that. I have so much respect for parents of RAD children. I have always offered prayers for parents in this forum when asked, and I will pray twice as hard the next time. I now see what you have gone through. I know this was just a movie, but it put reality to the meaning of RAD for me.
God Bless,
Jenn
Advertisements
It's not just a movie. It is about Nancy Thomas daughter. If you liked the movie, you should read her book Dandelion on my Pillow, Butcher knife beneath that she wrote with her daughters. The little girl in that film wrote portions of the book explaining what it feels like on the inside to live through the abuse, do the therapy and be parented in a theraputic manner.
Is it about a little girl who's sexually abused and is adopted by a minister and his wife? It is a good movie.
Maybe you could ask lifetime for a copy. You never know they might sell you one or maybe you could look it up on the internet. It really hits home. I wish people could look at these kids as future serial killers and not like sweet inncent normal little kidsw. I have never met a normal kid who wants to kill their parents or threatens to kill other people.
Advertisements
Probably a silly question, but before I go out and try to get a copy of this movie, is this something I could show to others to help them understand RAD. I mean, my daughter is 9 and she isn't treatening to kill us at this point. However, my parents see the sweet charming snuggly little girl and they have a hard time believeing us. Would this movie help them understand what we go through as far as anger and rages and no true emotion? Or is really alot about them as future serial killers?
I think it will help a lot. Most people have never seen Shawn's rages and have a clue about what we go through. They think all he needs is love. They don't understand it is hard to love a kid who wishes you were dead. I cried watching the movie it hit so close to home. Shawn has everybody fooled and even though he threatens to kill people all the time they blame us and laugh when we say he needs serious help. We sleep with our door locked and evven though my 2and a half year has her own room I am scared he will kill her in the night so she sleeps with us. We are poor and can't afford attachment therapy so we are stuck. We really want to get him into something where he doesn't live at home. I wish sometimes that we could find him a new mom and dad who could deal with the behaviors and could afford to get him the help he needs and deserves. I plan on showing this movie to a lot of people in my family so they understand.
Lorraine,
I think you need to see it to know if it will help your situation or not. It does cover some of the scarier aspects of a RAD child. The little girl in the story isn't emotionally blank like your daughter, but angry and violent. I know they also speak to another set of parents whose son set fires. I remember at one point she stabs the dog with a needle just because. My mom, a lover of Lifetime movies, saw it shortly after D was placed with us and she actually feared for our lives. While D talked a lot about hurting us, he hadn't done more that rage and threaten at that point.
What helped my mom understand the most was reading Adopting the Hurt Child and Parenting the Hurt Child. I offered her some Nancy Thomas stuff too, but she never got around to that because I kept taking them back, lol. I also found articles on the web about RAD and gave them to her. And, since we live so close, I called her once during one of his rages so she could come pick up J. I think hearing what he was screaming at me and then later after it had gone one for 3 more hours, really helped her get it. It was still hard, because at times he could really fool her. DH's folks never did get it and think we made it all up. UGH
I think RAD is such a hard thing for people to really grasp unless they've seen it. I know I wasn't prepared even though I'd read everything I could on the subject before placement (just in case). I mean who could really think that such a sweet and charming little boy could say and do the things D did.
Blessings,
Jenny
Advertisements
a Circle of Support video that would probably be better....
In the biography Nancy's daughter Beth talks about the movie which was made after the HBO special..... I think the biggest points were the therapy really wasn't like it was portayed and Beth's birth family wasn't really like what they said either (I think there were lots more children and her oldest sister isn't a hooker)
The HBO special is good if you can get a hold of it, which you probably could if you call the number at Nancy Thomas' office.....
I have also watched this movie once. It's great and I want to see it, where can I see it? Which channel? I learned and knew that the movie was featured in mobdro 2.1.88. Mobdro is a free app to watch TV, movies, sports and entertainment. Download mobdro 2.1.88 at: MobdroVip. com
Last update on August 2, 8:45 am by Cleopatra Drusilla.