Advertisements
Advertisements
:grr: We have a 17month old that came from Korea and he was doing great staying in his own bed. But when he got sick for 2 weeks he got in the habbit of being in owr bed now he screams for 30 mins then I break and go get him. How can I get him back to his own room?????
Can you let him fall asleep in your bed and then move him when he's deeply asleep?
Have you tried transitioning him to a mattress in your room, and then slowly over a couple of weeks, move the mattress out of your room into his?
Have you tried lying down with him in his own bed and room to get him to sleep?
We co-slept with our son from 9 months to 2.5 years. We started transitioning him to his own bed 1 year ago. We went out and bought him a new "big boy" bed and hyped it up. We had to lie down with him to get him to sleep for the full year, and for the first 6 months if he woke up, he would come to bed with us, then we switched to going into his room and lying down with him till he went back to sleep.
Now, we read stories, turn out the light and leave. 3 out of 5 times this is okay, 1 time he will cry out for us to lie down with him but can be comforted by just speaking to him from the other room and 1 time we will end up lying down with him. He rarely wakes up during the night now, and if he does, it's usually because he needs to be covered up with blankets as he has kicked them off.
Good luck! It can be done, but there is no quick magic solution.
Advertisements
Also, How long has he been home with you?
Have you considered co-sleeping for helping with attachment issues?
Those were all great suggestions and I will try them thank you. He has been home for about 7 mo. and this just started when he got sick for 2 weeks. Thank you
Is there a problem with him sleeping with you, or do you want him out of your room simply because it's the norm in America?
We have 3 children, and coslept with all of them. My 6 and 4 year old willigly began sleeping ini their own beds (ha! proves that the theory that the children will never leave your bed is a myth!) and my 2 year old still sleeps with us. It's a precious time for us, and we all enjoy it.
I would encourage him to sleep with you and welcome him with open arms if I were you. If it's about intimacy with your husband, there's always another room in the house...
Our son who's also 2 is still sleeping with dh and I too. It started just like you said...he got sick...we brought him to bed with us..and he's been there ever since. Most of the time, we have no problem with it, but I would like to get him into his own bed. Right now, his bed is being used by our new foster placement...lol. So we'll have to go buy another bed before we can start trying him to go to his own bed...oh well...theres still time, and like I said...most of the time, we really enjoy it.
Cindi
Foster mom to 2
Advertisements