Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I am an adoptive mommy who had the great pleasure of being able to nurse my daughter. Our situation was rather unique in that I had a 6 month old bio daughter when my other daughter was born. Since I had a milk supply, I was able to nurse the new baby as well. Since I had a relationship with my daughter's birth mom before the birth, she knew and supported my desire and decision to breastfeed. I made sure to be descreet and as thoughtful as possible (like nursing in a seperate area of the hospital...a little storage closet!). To me, I enjoyed breastfeeding my bio kids and recognize the benefits of it for the child. I wanted that for her too...why would I want anything less for her? If it was best for the bio kids it would be best for her too...EQUALITY. Also, I think it aided in bonding. I knew what it was like to be pregnant and have a baby. I didn't know what to expect with adoption. We knew we loved our bio kids before birth and we loved our adopted daughter before birth too, but I wanted us to have a physical bond. I felt weird at 1st simply because I had to get used to the reality that this was MY baby. Similarly, when I had my 1st baby, I had to adjust to that same reality. When I left the hospital with my 1st child and my adopted child, I kept feeling like I was stealing! Were they just going to let me walk out of there with a baby?!? If you can do it, I certainly encourage you to nurse. Contact the Le Lache League for advice and assistance. They are wonderful. I think it is a very special experience for a new mommy and will be good for the baby and your relationship in those early days. I'm glad my daughter was able to nurse just like her siblings did. :cheer: Go for it!!!