Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
love4
I live in Michigan. I adopted two girls from Texas. I started out with a private agency and ended up going to the state agency. It didn't cost anything. Texas paid for my travel visit and they flew my girls here when they were placed. I kept record of all travel expenses and was paid for it.
Have you checked with Adopt America? There are many volunteers who will search for a child for you. They will help with all aspects of adoption. I had a very good worker. They have a list of all waiting children and that is how I found my girls.
I havent finished the homestudy yet, so i am not actively searching. Its not costing me anything either since they place state wards. This agency is also a part of the Dave Thomas Foundation, they are a recruitment site for my state (i forget exactly what that is called), so far seem really nice. The SW seems very nice and has called me a few times (called to check up since she hadnt heard from me in awhile and wanted to make sure i was still interested)...she gave me her email address too. There are a couple of boys, one age 6 the other age 4 (singles, not sibs) on my state photolisting, which leads me to believe there might me alot of other boys in that age group that dont make it to the photolisting. I've decided to adopt younger than my son which means under age 9. If i dont get the response i want from this agency then i'll definatly look into Adopt America, USKids, etc...i think i've looked at every state photolisting on the internet! But as i said, there is the whole homeschooling issue to deal with, and want to make sure whatever state the child comes from is ok with that, as i dont want to have to send him to school until finalization.
When you say "state agency" do you mean the local DHS office (not sure what its called now in MI)? Last year when i was calling different agencies, i couldnt even get ahold of anyone from the local social service agency, they had a recording and it basically said to call the private agencies. I had better luck with the private agencies who place state wards, got to talk to several people in depth on the phone, and this year when i moved forward with my plans the two agencies i mentioned in my OP sent me info with one day of me requesting it. So hopefully they will continue to be as attentive.
Katherine