Advertisements
Advertisements
Disclaimer to the mods on Adoption.com I apologize if I this isnt the right section to be posting this in but I think this is one of the only places where I could fit this.
Anywho. On to my calamity that I have to share. I am looking for some possible advice on hope to cope/deal with this in anyway I can to feel a bit more stable in my day to day life since this has happened.
I am 27 years old and in the process of contacting my birth father for the first time. My girlfriend ended up finding him on LinkedIN out of the blue. I had to point him out to my birth mom to get confirmation that it was actually him since I only had very basic and minimal information at my disposal. Ever since I got the wheels turning on this process I have really seen the emotions come out of the woodwork, and how I have usually just swept them under the rug or ignored them for many years. I couldn't send him a message on linkedin unless I was connected with directly. So I sent an invite telling him that I had a few questions for him if he could spare a few minutes of his time and that i really would appreciate it. He accepted my invitation , and so I had finally mustered up the courage to send an email to him over linkedin that took me about 20 rewrites to finally get a decent copy out. I sent it back on the 10th of feb. I haven't heard back yet, and with the way how linkedin works I guess is that if you are not a in member you cannot see if they have read or disposed of the message.
Since then my emotions have been flowing more so like a river and sometimes have been dealing with mood swings. I think it is because it is all happening so fast and I have never/ dont know how to cope with this situation. I am bracing myself for the worst so that way I don't feel let down if I am rejected. In about two weeks I was thinking about sending him one last night just asking for some sort of acknowledgement and a few basic things like medical history and what not.
Im wondering if others may be / or have been in this similar situation. How did you handle it, and what did you end up doing?
Any helpful advice or feedback is appreciated.
Thank you.