Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Folks,
I'm sure this is a common problem, but Thomas is my oldest & I'm not sure how to handle this.
Thomas turned three last month. He has been going #1 in the potty for over 6 months, with no problems. However, he has yet to go #2 in the toilet.
What worked for you, to encourage your child to go #2 without stressing them out? We have a friend whose daughter had a bowel obstruction, due to holding it in for so long...
Another detail about Tom's personality -- bribes (toys, stickers, candy) DO NOT work for him. He could care less if you offered him a sticker to go potty.
It just doesn't seem to bother him to have dirty underwear once or twice a day. He just careful walks over to me, tells me he pooped... then we go to the bathroom, he carefully steps out of his underwear and rinses them in the toilet. He hands me the underwear and even wipes himself.
We've tried having him sit on the toilet after meals, even reading books and hanging out with him, hoping he will have to go. Inevitably, he will wait it out -- and then soil his underwear the second he is wearing them again...
So -- what do you expert mommys and daddys suggest?? Thanks in advance for your help...
The only thing I can suggest is ...Give it time....he will do it eventualy. Don't push him into it. Sounds like he's got the hang of it though. To me boys always seemed to be harder than girls. My son was 4 until he acually was completly out of pull-ups. Don't get discouraged it shall happen.
Best of luck sorry I don't have much advice:)
Advertisements
No, that is helpful. It makes me feel better to think we are doing everything possible... I just don't want to push him. Aaah, it's fun to have kids! :D
My neighbor is having the same problem. Her ds (bio) will be 4 in June. #1 for almost a year, no #2.
Every kid is different. #2 usually freaks them out and is the last thing to happen. But it WILL happen. I don't have any advice. Before becoming a parent, I though potty training was something parents could bring about by sheer will and determination. Now I know the truth-you can't make the kids go before their time table.
The upside-once he does it successfully once or twice, he'll be good to go!