Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
This is going to be a great introduction. :rolleyes:
Hi everyone! My husband and I have one more week of MAPP classes before we are DONE. Well, during my husband's classes to become a reserve officer they had to do a criminal check on him. They found him to be a felon! Hard as it may seem to believe, he didn't even know it.
When he was 18, a police dispatcher bought him and his brother some alcohol. My husband got drunk, passed out, his brother stole his jeep (not at all out of character!) and went joyriding with a friend on the country club golf course! The next morning my husband was awakened by the police at the door. He explained that it wasn't him, but they took him in for "questioning". Of course he was arrested because he wasn't really sure who had taken his jeep, so it looked like he was trying to cover up...or guilty. Anyway, his brother came and told him what had happened. The only witness to my hubby being passed out was the dispatcher! They didn't want to nark her out, so he thought it would just be something minor. He went to court, told the judge it had been his brother (judge is notorious in these parts for being an @**) but the judge was pretty happy with just calling it on my husband. To make a long story longer...
Apparently his brother had also stolen some golf flags (the ones at the holes) and this produced the felony!!! We called the attorney about getting an expungement, but we're both feeling like we've been smacked upside the head! Me, because I'm not sure they'll allow us to foster (although we've already brought it up with our worker) and also because I just found out I'm married to a "felon"!!! and my husband because he went through 60 hours of police training, got the best scores shooting (impressed all the other coppers) bought his gun and duty belt (which isn't cheap!) got his uniform and lead vest, and was really looking forward to it!
Does anyone know what the laws of this would be? Anyone ever had an expungement? I don't even know how it works. Needless to say, this has devestated us. My husband has NEVER been in trouble, but his brother (12 years later) is STILL in constant trouble...has several DUI's, doesn't have custody of his three children, etc. Ugh...any advice??
By the way...I'm Reonna! :grr: