Advertisements
Advertisements
I have a 3yo and a 2yo (almost). Neither are potty trained. My 3yo understands and will ask to go to the potty but never does anything once she gets there. My 2yo screams, kicks and slaps everything when put near the toilet.
My problem is them together... if we leave thier bathroom where they can go by themselves, we constantly fight clothes, toys, stuffed animals and yes, my 2yo's head in the potty.
My 2yo plays in the toilet and my 3yo is the follower. I feel like the only parent in the world with children that will not learn to potty. They are 14 months apart. My 3yo just turned 3 this week and my 2yo will be 2 at the end of next month.
Help? Encouragement?
Here's a line from my daughter's doctor that was of little encouragment but made me smile nonetheless - your kids won't go to high school in diapers.
I thought my kid would never get out of diapers. She only just trained about 4 weeks ago. Her doctor suggested the "cold turkey" method, and it worked. He actually refers to it as the $100 method - you announce to your kid that s/he's all done with diapers. You put the kid straight into underwear and you keep at it. After a few days, maybe a few weeks, your kid is probably trained, and then you pay someone to clean the house.
I was skeptical, but it worked for my daughter. Other kids will just tell you one morning that they are ready to wear underwear. Others still need to be weaned off of diapers as they learn to go on the potty.
In the end, I think you and your children will figure it out. This too shall pass. Good luck!
Advertisements
It sounds like your 3 year old is ready to start with potty training, but that your 2 year old is not quite there yet. He/she may still be scared of the toilet. Once they show interest in the potty is when you start, trying to push them will only frustrate the two of you. There is a wonderful video called "Once Upon A Potty" that works wonders. They have one for boys and one for girls, and you can buy the putty that is featured in the video as well. I let my little guy watch this for a month, then got the potty and let him play with it while watching the video for another month, at the end of the second month he just pulled his pants down and peed in the potty while watching the video and that was it! He was about two weeks away from his second birthday and peeing in the potty. I have known several others who have used this video with great success...I just happened upon it one day and am so glad that I did!
[url=http://stepparent.adoptionblogs.com]Stepparent Adoption Blog[/url]