Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Both roles play an important part. I have one bio child and one adopted child. My son (bio) is 7, and my daughter is 16 months.
I would say that A LOT comes from genes. The most obvious thing is physical characteristics. My son looks just like my husband. My daughter looks just like her birthmom and her sister. There are also just inherent things like mannerisms, facial expressions & laughter that are dictated by genes.
In addition, temperment also comes from genes. My son has my temperment. My daughter has her bmom's temperment. Lucky for me that both me and Dee's (bmom) temperment is calm. Both my kids have very calm temperments.
Intelligence also comes from genes. My daughter is smart. She has always been way above certain stages in development. Her understanding of things is amazing. I also know that her birth siblings are very intelligent too.
Nurture also plays an important role. It is critical for any child's development to have unconditional love and a safe enviornment. If children grow up abused, it doesn't make a hill of beans what their genetic makeup is.
It is the parent's role to ensure they are raising their children in a nurturing enviornment. With nurture, your children learn to love themselves and others. Nurture also helps cement a child's feelings of self worth and confidence.
My children will grow up with me and my husband's morals, values and ethics. The love we feel and show our children is invaluable. Both my children are fiercely loved, cherished and valued. How they feel about themselves in the long run goes directly back to nurture.
Now certain things have nothing to do nature or nurture. They have to do with free will and poor choices. My daughter's birthparents (and extended family) are drug addicts. Many of them are homeless & jobless. No matter how intelligent they are genetically has nothing to do with the poor choices they made in their life.
If either of my children make poor choices in the future due to peer pressure or just plain supidity, that's on them. It will certainly have nothing to do with their genetic makeup or nurture.