Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
I have 4 birthchildren and 4 adopted children. Just wanted to comment that I believe the nature vs. nurture debate tends to be about 50/50. In other words, I certainly see things in my birthchildren that are part me, part their father but also circumstances (like divorce, environment, schooling, friends) play a big role in their personalities. With our adopted children I see the same thing. We have a history on all of our children. Our sweet new baby seems to have much the same personality as her sweet birthmother. OUr VERY ACTIVE 6 year old shows some tendencies that make me believe he could have a lot of his birthfather's personality traits (a bit scary). Our very talkative 7 year old is so much like her birthmother in that regard (of course we are talkers too so who knows?). I think many things shape us and that genetics is a VERY STRONG part of who we are but so does our environment and our parents' role in our lives, our teachers' influences, our religious or moral background. I did read an excellent article in Adoptive Families Magazine a couple of years back. You may want to see if you can get a copy of it. I think it was titled "Nature vs. Nurture" and brought up some excellent points and left me feeling very hopeful about the future.
Hope I've helped.
Josie