Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
RAD can come from poor nurturing, or from any kind of traumatic break in the relationship with the parenting figure--especially in the very early, formative years. Therefore, it is possible for an infant to have RAD type behaviors, if, for instance, the baby has spent significant time in the hospital---without cuddling, holding, etc. It can also come from parenting that is neglectful---in that the baby isn't held enough, isn't fed, isn't cared for.
The incidence is higher in older, foster children for several reasons: Neglect during pregnancy, neglect due to a variety of reasons during early infancy, several moves for the child throughout foster care, etc.
I have known of babies to show some signs of 'unattached behaviors', ie, lack of eye contact during feedings, stiffness when being cuddled by caretaker, continuous crying and stiffness while being held, etc. (and there are others). And.....if attachment parenting is conducted during these early months, the baby can and often will learn to attach. This is why---in our home---we firmly believe in attachment parenting of any/all of our babies. (Wearing the baby in a pack, laying down with the baby, being attentive with the baby during each feeding---encouraging eye contact, etc.)
There is an excellent site for more knowledge on attachment parenting and reactive attachment disorder called, ADSG (Attachment disorder support group). It has a wide base of info about attachment and what any parent can do to help.
As far as a genetic element in RAD.......our therapist and I have discussed that it would seem the ratio of CC children with RAD, compared to any children of color with RAD, seems unequal. It would seem that CC children (whether adopted domestically or internationally) seem to have a much higher incidence. There could be other reasons rather than genetics too.
But, sadly, the older the child with attachment issues, the lower the chances for success in getting them to attach---which can be devestating in years to come.
I hope this helps...
Sincerely,
Linny