Advertisements
Advertisements
We are considering adopting a child from South Africa or Mali. Does anyone have any experience adopting from these countries?
South Africa claims to have a possible 2 year processing time. That seems like such a long time...
No experience Adopting from South Africa, but have been In Country??
What are your expectations with International Adoption please??
China is currently processing Dossiers dated fall of 2006.
Central America is saying . " 2-8 years."
I saw a posting earlier. " That South Africa's Adoption programs are new or ' Pilot ' Programs??
International Adoption is complex, and is not a process where you just go to a Country and choose your Infant or your child!!
Juli
Advertisements
I assumed it would be difficult to Adopt Internationally. But I also am looking to adopt siblings a sibling group of 3 or more which (as far as I have heard) are less likely to be adopted. Which is what I really want, to give the children a home that may not get one other wise.
I am not particularly interested in single "normal" children under two like most seem to prefer. I am looking for older child and sibling adoptions.
I assumed it would be difficult to Adopt Internationally. But I also am looking to adopt siblings a sibling group of 3 or more which (as far as I have heard) are less likely to be adopted. Which is what I really want, to give the children a home that may not get one other wise.
I am not particularly interested in single "normal" children under two like most seem to prefer. I am looking for older child and sibling adoptions.
In the early 2000s , the Adoption Trends were.
That you could Adopt Healthy Babies and Children anywhere!!
With the Hague Treaty. This Trend has plummeted Awesomely!!
Colombia has a current expected 2 years Moratorium, for under six years old Single Children.
There are alot of Sibling Groups though??
Juli
ChinaAndTheStars
There are alot of Sibling Groups though??
Juli
And as far as I can tell it is more difficult to find these children homes. Which is what I would like to do.
Advertisements
buddylovebabi
And as far as I can tell it is more difficult to find these children homes. Which is what I would like to do.
Dear buddylovebabi
My brother is 17 years old and would like to be adopted. He turns 18 next year and I'm looking for a decent family for him. I'm just looking for a better life for him, one in which he will have better opportunities, and a stable environment. Since you are looking for families for older children I thought you might be interested in helping.
Nowadays, most international adoptions are taking between 18 months and two years. Countries that are becoming more prosperous tend to have less need for international adoption. And countries are demanding tighter controls on adoption to protect children and their birth families, as well as their adoptive parents.
While countries and agencies want to see hard-to-place children -- school aged children and sibling groups of three or more children, as well as children with special needs -- the paperwork remains pretty much the same. You will still need a homestudy, USCIS clearance (assuming that you are American), foreign government clearance, one or more trips to meet and bond with the children pre-adoption, a court or administrative finalization process, and completion of paperwork for the child's visa to enter the U.S. (IR-3 or IR-4 if non-Hague, IH-3 or IH-4 if Hague). There are a few extra pieces of paper if the country is Hague compliant.
Nowadays, the U.S. is reviewing visa applications with great care because, in some countries, there's a problem with corrupt practices -- for example, facilitators or, occasionally agencies, misleading families into thinking that their children are just going to the U.S. to study and will return home, fraudulent paperwork showing that a child is an orphan when he/she is not (or showing false ages to make an older child appear younger and more adoptable), and so on. And foreign governments are hearing stories of American families abusing children they adopt, and want to be very sure that the children they place are going into safe and loving homes.
If a child is known to be seriously ill, he/she probably won't be referred in the first place. And sometimes a referral will be withdrawn if a child is no longer considered fit to travel. Most referred children can generally wait a normal length of time to come home -- for example, a child with a limb difference, Down's syndrome, or asymptomatic Hepatitis B carrier status. There are, however, some children who may require surgery or other medical care more quickly -- for example a toddler with a serous heart defect.. Unfortunately, it may or may not always be feasible to get the foreign country to expedite the adoption process, or to get the U.S. authorities to issue a visa sooner.
All in all, while you may be lucky and find that your application for a hard-to-place child goes sailing through easily, a wait of 18 months to 2 years from homestudy to homecoming is reasonable. Remember that adoption is a complex legal process involving the authorities in two countries.
While you wait, you should commit as much time as possible to learn about the challenges of parenting an internationally adopted child, in general, and the challenges of adopting a child who is of school age, who may have had significant negative life experiences, who may be of a different race, who may not have any education, and so on. Be aware that the route you are choosing is not an easy one -- but that, if you are fully prepared, can be so wonderful.
Nowadays, most international adoptions are taking between 18 months and two years. Countries that are becoming more prosperous tend to have less need for international adoption. And countries are demanding tighter controls on adoption to protect children and their birth families, as well as their adoptive parents.
While countries and agencies want to see hard-to-place children -- school aged children and sibling groups of three or more children, as well as children with special needs -- the paperwork remains pretty much the same. You will still need a homestudy, USCIS clearance (assuming that you are American), foreign government clearance, one or more trips to meet and bond with the children pre-adoption, a court or administrative finalization process, and completion of paperwork for the child's visa to enter the U.S. (IR-3 or IR-4 if non-Hague, IH-3 or IH-4 if Hague). There are a few extra pieces of paper if the country is Hague compliant.
Nowadays, the U.S. is reviewing visa applications with great care because, in some countries, there's a problem with corrupt practices -- for example, facilitators or, occasionally agencies, misleading families into thinking that their children are just going to the U.S. to study and will return home, fraudulent paperwork showing that a child is an orphan when he/she is not (or showing false ages to make an older child appear younger and more adoptable), and so on. And foreign governments are hearing stories of American families abusing children they adopt, and want to be very sure that the children they place are going into safe and loving homes.
If a child is known to be seriously ill, he/she probably won't be referred in the first place. And sometimes a referral will be withdrawn if a child is no longer considered fit to travel. Most referred children can generally wait a normal length of time to come home -- for example, a child with a limb difference, Down's syndrome, or asymptomatic Hepatitis B carrier status. There are, however, some children who may require surgery or other medical care more quickly -- for example a toddler with a serous heart defect.. Unfortunately, it may or may not always be feasible to get the foreign country to expedite the adoption process, or to get the U.S. authorities to issue a visa sooner.
All in all, while you may be lucky and find that your application for a hard-to-place child goes sailing through easily, a wait of 18 months to 2 years from homestudy to homecoming is reasonable. Remember that adoption is a complex legal process involving the authorities in two countries.
While you wait, you should commit as much time as possible to learn about the challenges of parenting an internationally adopted child, in general, and the challenges of adopting a child who is of school age, who may have had significant negative life experiences, who may be of a different race, who may not have any education, and so on. Be aware that the route you are choosing is not an easy one -- but that, if you are fully prepared, can be so wonderful.