Advertisements
Advertisements
Does anyone have any info on how/if we can adopt? We are Canadians living in the US (not US citizens though, have been here on a work visa for 7 yrs).
Any help or info would be greatly appreciated!
I'm curious as well. My husband is Canadian, I am American and we both live in the US. He is a permanent resident here.
Advertisements
Both the married Canadian couple and the couple in which one is Canadian can adopt domestically while in the US.
There is no restriction on citizenship to adopt domestically in the UShowever, only the second couple, in which the wife is a US citizen and the husband is a Canadian citizen could adopt internationally. At least one parent has to be a citizen of the US in order to bring an international adoptee to the US upon completion of the adoption.
So, ya, both of you guys could adopt via domestic adoption :)
Ya know, Ive never really researched this fully, but I know that adoptive parents here in the US (citizenship aside) canҒt adopt an infant from Canada because Canada is Hague Compliant and the US is not. This might change in Jan 2007 when the US becomes Hague Compliant.
Its possible that your husband being Canadian might make a difference.
I would contact an agency in Canada and ask them҅
Yes, adoptive parents from the US can adopt infants from Canada. I know of others who have done this. However, the baby must be born in the US. A girl from where I grew up placed her baby with a couple in Utah, but she did have the baby there.
:)
Advertisements
So, the answer is no...adoptive parents can't adopt a baby born in Canada...the pregnant mom has to come to the US and give birth.
I caution members about this method however. Due to this type of thing being done with RMI and Hawaii, the US actually has a law on bringing pregnant women to the states to give birth and place their child for adoption...it was passed in Jan 2004 I believe.
Doing this could endanger the legalities of the adoption, should it be discovered.
We are a Canadian family living in the US 12+ years and we are investigating adoption. From what I have gathered so far, we cannot adopt internationally, but we could adopt from the US. Do we have the option to adopt from Canada while living in the US, also?