Advertisements
Advertisements
We adopted DS1 from foster care, but we were matched through a private agency. We were given kinship status (ie no stipend) until the adoption was finalized. I didn't care, we didn't want money. He was exposed to several different drugs in utero but it wasn't clear if he tested positive at birth. However, given what his FF told us, it sure sounds like he had a bit of withdrawal. But we are told he's fine, doesn't need services, etc.
Fast forward a few years, and we are licensed foster parents with training in drug exposed infants under our belts. We are matched with another baby in foster care. He's in every type of therapy possible and doing great. I comment to the AW that I wish I'd known about the therapies for #1, as it seems like he could have benefitted from OT. (DS2's therapist commented that #1 shows signs of sensory issues and hyperactivity, and that even if things are mild now, they could become big issues later.) AW said not to worry, that Medicaid will cover him. Uhhhhh... He doesn't have Medicaid. We were told he didn't qualify for any subsidy. She said as far as she knows, all kids adopted from foster care at least get Medicaid even if they don't get a stipend.
I didn't have the energy to deal with it right then, but when I see how far ahead #2 is than #1 was at this age, it makes me wonder if he is affected more than we think, and maybe we should get him the insurance just in case....
So WWYD? Fight for Medicaid, or keep our fingers crossed and hope for the best? Is it ridiculous to think he'd qualify 5 years later just based on the fact that his bio mom did drugs during the pregnancy and the possible issues that could arise later?
I would apply for Social Security, and Health Benefits through Social Security!!
When he is approved.
His Benefits will also automatically be Retroactive to Birth!!
If you Adopt Baby #2 he would also Qualify for Social Security, but your Status now would be the Foster Family Agency would receive the money??
I think the Health Insurance Benefit and the Free Education Benefit.
Differ or vary if Adopted State by State??
Having Adopted, we lost everything with the exception of Food Stamps or EBT and WIC.
Juli
Advertisements
Isn't Social Security based on income? If it is, we wouldn't qualify. A stipend would help, don't get me wrong, but that's not what I'm after. I just want whatever medical/therapy coverage is available in case he needs it. Back then, we had good insurance and could manage whatever out of pocket we might need. Now we're on a super high deductible plan and it's just not going to work for him if he starts needing therapy.
ETA: He also doesn't have a diagnosis. He thankfully is not having trouble at school, but I see things at home that make me think some OT might help him organize himself better, which will help in school.
swd
Isn't Social Security based on income? If it is, we wouldn't qualify. A stipend would help, don't get me wrong, but that's not what I'm after. I just want whatever medical/therapy coverage is available in case he needs it. Back then, we had good insurance and could manage whatever out of pocket we might need. Now we're on a super high deductible plan and it's just not going to work for him if he starts needing therapy.
ETA: He also doesn't have a diagnosis. He thankfully is not having trouble at school, but I see things at home that make me think some OT might help him organize himself better, which will help in school.
From what I know, SSI IS 'means-tested'...(income based) and a lot of people can't get it because they make too much money. (Don't get me started on why SSI is means-tested and regular SS isn't......another topic somewhere else...)
Anyway......you COULD contest the fact he doesn't have Medicaid and possibly win. Don't take 'no' for an answer and research a lot. We adopted our baby through a private agency and at the time, we all knew something was probably wrong, but most testing showed negative for those issues. However, given new testing methods, it was found she had significant life-long problems and with documentation as such---along with medical testing and reports, we were able to obtain a subsidy (Medicaid was a given at the time). You may want to research 'Rita Laws'...an attorney who writes and publishes about such things. Her knowledge helped us a lot.
I would not wait to see what happens. Drug use inutero is sorely underestimated and misunderstood, IMO.
Good luck!
Sincerely,
Linny
I would Advocate for Disabled Since Birth Status with Social Security.
Professionally, also I would ask for an IEP evaluation and maybe or possibly get Occupational Therapy through his Education plan??
Juli
Thank you both. I'm going to do some more research. It never occurred to me that he would ever qualify due to our salary and also that he has no official diagnosis. Do they really give SS to people for the possibility of future issues?
Advertisements