Advertisements
Advertisements
Hello! My husband and I are in the process of relocating to NJ and are planning to become licensed to foster medically fragile infants. We are licensed as treatment foster parents where we live right now and have been for the last 13 months. We have loved fostering and would like to do it again in our new home. Currently we are licensed with a private IFC (foster placement) agency but we have been wishing that we had been wise enough to do a little more research and educated ourselves a little bit better before pulling the trigger on an agency. Here agencies get the referrals that are hard to place for behavioral reasons or children who need a higher level of care due to trauma which is great for some families but it has been tough for ours. Our desire is to foster infants who are designated as being medically fragile or drug-addicted/affected and we are trying to figure out if it is best to go through an agency or if working directly with the state would be better. My gut is to work with the state due to our experience with agency care but I was hoping that someone out there would know better and be able to direct me/us in the best way for what we would like to do. Help! I want to make a better informed decision this time around! Thanks so much and I look forward to the support of this group!
What county will you be living in? That will most likely determine the amount of placements you get through the state. The county I am in is very busy with infants/drug affected/addicted so it wouldn't be a stretch to do that.
Advertisements
We will likely buy in either Burlington or Camden county....we are looking seriously at Mullica Hill. Which county are you in? Do you recommend state over agency? Does the state place outside of region?
I just noticed that Mullica Hill is in Gloucester county.....so, either Burlington, Camden, or Gloucester county. I'd love any thoughts and/or insights you may have
I say definitely go through the state. They get the kids first and give them to their FPs. Agencies get what's left and that's often harder to place children due to multiple reasons. The state, at least in my county, is pretty good.
Advertisements
We are in camden county...Mullica Hill is Gloucester County which I hear is a bit slower on the infant end, but either way....going through the state is better...
walkermom
What county will you be living in? That will most likely determine the amount of placements you get through the state. The county I am in is very busy with infants/drug affected/addicted so it wouldn't be a stretch to do that.
Can you please answer a question I have? My husband and I are relocating to Sussex County. How likely is it we will get infants to foster?
Hello,
Does anybody in here foster infants in Sussex County? I am hoping to foster infants and we are trying to buy a house in Sussex County.
Thanks
NJcanidateforinfants
Can you please answer a question I have? My husband and I are relocating to Sussex County. How likely is it we will get infants to foster?
There are infants in Sussex. I have a friend who got 2. Good luck.
Advertisements
Hello,
I hope you don't mind me asking another question. Has your friend fostered recently?? I know in our class they had two speakers who both fostered infants. However their kids were about ten years old by now. Is your friend fostering to adopt?
I get called all the time for infant placements (Gloucester Co).
You just have to get on the radar of the placement workers in your county.
I am in Camden county and we've gotten a few babies and I've heard about folks getting babies in Gloucester County - you might have a wait, but it will happen eventually! (Also, I grew up in Mullica Hill - it's a nice area - good luck!)
I'm new to this site and looking seriously into fostering to adopt in Burlington County. I'm interested in infants from newborn to 2 years old. Does anyone know if there are a lot of infants needing foster care in Burlington County?
Advertisements