Advertisements
Advertisements
Ive created yet another new forum for our members here at Adoption.com. While the topic itself isnҒt adoption specific - it is parenting specific, which is why Ive put it in the parenting category!
Parenting preemies comes with its own set of obstacles and joys - now our forum members have a place to discuss those!
I think this is a great forum to add. I can't wait until someone who actually has experience with it posts. I'd love to read some stories and issues.
I've always be facinated with it, but sadly no actual stories to report from my own experience.
Advertisements
I am a new parent to a premie. hes still in the hospital and im struggling to find my self feeling like a mom, even though he has been out of my body for over a month now. Im hopeing more will see this thread and post their experiences to help me cope.
[FONT="Century Gothic"]Hi sweetie!!!! Don't be a stranger around here!!!! [/FONT]
Hi I am SHelley Mom to six including a 29 weeks preemie.
Our Emma was born @ 29 weeks due to her birthmother having toxemia. We traveled to Korea in Aug. 2003 to bring her home.
I have to tell you when I first read her file I didn't pay much attention because she was sooo premature, but as days and then weeks went by I found myself being drawn back to the beautiful dark eyes.
My dh was adamant at first about not adopting her, because he was afraid, she had had a grade one brainbleed, possible hypertonicity and any number of unknowns. Plus the fact that ds #2 convinced him she looked like an alien in her referral photo's. I got him to agree to let an international Doc look at her file, and while he couldn't make any gaurantee's he thought she would be just fine, and so she is.
Today she is a very active, dramatic almost 4 yo who loves to dance and sing and charm he Daddy and big brothers. Other than very soft teeth, which we didn't know was a problem for preemies, we had to have her top 4 ront teeth pulled, she's fine. She has finally grown into her big head and no longer resemebles an alien :-) and she has her Daddy wrapped around her little finger. Shelley
Advertisements
I totally forgot that I was a member here too! silly me! My little guy is still in the NICU thinking he is a fish that doesnt have to breath while eating. He doesnt have any other issues keeping him there other than that. He now weighs 6lb 5oz! Is still anemic so they give him added vitamins. Im so sad that Ill be returning to work so soon and that he hasnt been home yet, but I need to go back to work so we can transfer back to UT to be with the babys daddy after we get married this winter.
[FONT="Century Gothic"]Like I told you allready one day he will get it and there will be no stopping him!!!! :grouphug: [/FONT]
I'm Mommy to five-year-old identical twin girls who were 31-week preemies. They are doing amazingly well - even their pediatrician is amazed that there are no lingering effects from their early start. They spent their first 29 days in the NICU, came home at just under 5 lbs each and using g-tubes for feeding, but were eating on their own within a couple of weeks after coming home. Neither of the girls has any of the "normal" preemie problems, which we attribute to the power of prayer!
Preemies have many special needs that make their care different from that of full-term infants, which is why they often begin their lives after delivery in a neonatal intensive care unit (NICU). The NICU is designed to provide an atmosphere that limits stress to the infant and meets basic needs of warmth, nutrition, and protection to assure proper growth and development.
Due to many recent advances, more than 90% of premature babies who weigh 800 grams or more (a little less than 2 pounds) survive. Those who weigh more than 500 grams (a little more than 1 pound) have a more than 60% chance of survival, although their chances of complications are greater.
[URL="twitter.com/andrew_tanning"]buy ghrp-6[/URL], [URL="http://www.tanresearch.com/cjc-1295"]buy cjc-1295[/URL], [URL="http://www.tanresearch.com/buy"]buy cjc-1295[/URL]
Advertisements