Advertisements
Advertisements
Hey RR, I remember your old posts as you got your little guy about a year after I received mine. Its good to hear post adoption stories when the kids are older; my son (6 yo) is also diagnosed ADHD and the journey is very frustrating. I had to pull him out of kindergarten for a year, but last year he was assigned an aide and that seemed to help. This summer he's in camp without an aide and he has decompensated. I'm trying everything I can before I try drugs (brain repatterning, krill oil, amino acids etc.) but first grade will probably be the real test. Luckily he has been very medically healthy, and he really is a sweetheart. PM me if you need to vent; maybe you're in my area?
Advertisements
I made the decision NOT to renew my foster-parent license when it expires next month. That was a really, really hard decision to make. But after 7 years of dealing with DYFS, i need a break.
I still want a second child but am now not so sure that being a DYFS foster parent is the way to achieve that goal. Maybe private adoption. I don't know. I am 45 with a 6-yr-old. Am I too old for a newborn and a first grader? Maybe. Maybe in a year, I will become a foster mom again and take in an older child - like 4 or 5. I dunno.
I do know I want to get off the DYFS roller coaster for awhile. I think that last straw was in March when I was seriously considered by the Trenton Adoption Unit for a baby that had been abandoned in Newark. I let my heart really open up and the baby went to another family. That whole experience just wore me out.
So for now, it is just Little Dude and I as a family. Taking down the crib in his room was hard. But I am gonna fix it up to make it more of a room for my son - space that is all his.
And in another year or so, maybe there will be room for another kid in our family.
Thanks for taking this journey with me.