Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Some states have reciprocity and when the adoption is final you automatically switch to that state's Medicaid. Texas (where I live) is one of those states. However Nebraska (where my children are from) is not! IPCAC I think is the initials for it. This means our children have NE Medicaid until the adoption is final.
We were assured though that when our children's adoptions were final that we would have Texas Medicaid (which we will) and that we would have Nebraska Medicaid as a backup. We found out 5 days before our daughter's finalization date that we would not have NE Medicaid as a backup! This was HUGE to us since TX pays for VERY little and has almost no RTC care. Nebraska covers up to 18 months in RTC (at the time our son had been in RTC for 5 months already and odds are pretty good he'll need it again!).
Also, NE post adoption services are built into their Medicaid. TX provides those separately. Since our kids are out of state - they do not qualify for these state-funded post adoption services! NE has said that we get TX Medicaid and that should be enough! We've tried explaining the difference. NE has finally said they will give us the RTC subsidy, if we can prove that we've exhausted all other alternatives.
We're at our wits end. To think, we thought we were LUCKY because we had kids from out of state and therefore were going to get better services. The only thing we knew we were missing out on was that TX provides in-state college tuition.
Mary
mom to D(14), C(12), K(11) and T(8)
*sigh*