Advertisements
Advertisements
DH and I are open to any race and nearly have our homestudy completed. We are currently assuming we will do our placement through the agency that did our homestudy, but I also think they are fairly expensive. I'd like to learn about other agencies that would be less than $13,000 or so all told, because we don't make all that much money and while we can afford this agency's fees, it would obviously be easier on us to go through a less expensive agency. I think there may be a few agencies that reduce fees for AA/biracial babies and I'd love to hear about those especially. Thanks in advance.
I would love to get info on this MS agency. My husband and I are wanting to adopt from MS, but are not wanting to pay an enormous fee. I have done some research and have considered some agencies outside of MS, but would love to be able to work with an agency in the state. If you would be willing to share the name of the agency by PM, it would be greatly appreciated.
Advertisements
Hi there - I would love any information as well.
Our agency asks us to put a "maximum fee" on what we would pay for the "agency fee" part - we said $15,000 but then you factor in the $3000 for the homestudy/post-placement visits....and then travel to pick up our baby (who knows how much that will be - depends where our baby is)....we are looking at around $20,000+ for a bi-racial baby.
Does that seem high?
We are in Wisconsin so if we were to look into other agencies - is that even ok?
Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Sarah
I agree with you on that... obviously no baby should be "cheaper" based on race. However I have the feeling (and somebody could correct me on this) that there are a lot of government grants for the agency and/or attorney so it's not really "cheaper" it's just that you don't have to pay it all. I've been researching a lot of agencies and attys lately and have found a range of $8000 to $30,000 or even more. What I wonder is, would paying more lead to a faster placement. I don't believe it would though.
You know what?....just today, I've phoned and spoken to at least three agencies. We've adopted several times (five babies), and I honestly think fees have gone a sharp INCREASE just over the last three months---AGAIN!!!!!!! GRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR......
I completely agree that there seems to be a vast range of fees, and it seems that everyone---lately---has their hand out more than usual! :(
Around 20k seems high. I think that's not unusual....but I find it high. Our most expensive adoption was a bit over 10k (not including homestudy) and this was conducted in '06. BUT......I AM finding we'll have to search more and more for situations that aren't higher than that now...and frankly, I think that stinks; but it's true.
Are you open to any special needs too? (As we are and have been.) It used to be that special needs babies had lower fees, simply because the agencies/attorneys knew the families were taking a greater risk in having to pay added expenses for 'unknowns'. Seems anymore, that 'special needs' are considered 'healthy' now. (Don't even go beyond that reasoning...)
And, while that's what most agencies think/do......I still believe in my heart, that sometimes, it's being in the right place at the right time. (This has happened more than once with us and we have our babies to prove it.)
My best advice for fees and all, would be to continue searching for agencies that DO NOT make you pay a large amount of money for matches or any other fees. (No more than a few hundred at most....WHO can afford to lose that money anyway????)
And....make sure you call ALL around...tell the caseworker what you want.....ASK them if they'll take payments....ASK them if they ever have ANY exceptions, etc.
That may seem rude to some; but I've known times when agencies were literally scrambling to find couples to match. If you even just ask them to place you on their resource list, that MAY be enough. You never know.
I hope this helps. My best to you....
Sincerely,
Linny
Have you considered adoption through the foster care system? Before you say no, let me explain...
there are LOTS of newborns abandoned at hospitals.
I was recently speaking with an ER nurse from our state Children's Hospital and she said at least 6 times per year, a baby is abandoned in the ER (not to mention the OB ward plus other hospitals)
She said the mom will ask them to watch the baby while she goes out for a smoke, bathroom, etc. Then she never comes back. I asked what happens to the babies and she said they were turned over to our DHS into foster care.
Further inquiry led me to the discovery that these are considered "Legal risk" adoptions, but they often have the TPR done fairly quickly. ALSO, you can sign up for ONLY those babies whose TPR is already done and they are legally available for adoption.
The BEST part about this is the cost - little to nothing. In most states, it's the cost of your homestudy only, plus your time/travel they require for you to take their classes. Otherwise, NO medical, bmom expenses, etc. Also, many of the babies are eligible for subsidies, some until they're 18.
A final note. I would not want to adopt in Wisconsin...the wait time for TPR is something like 30 days.
Advertisements
...I asked what happens to the babies and she said they were turned over to our DHS into foster care. ---nidomio
And, in many states, this may be true. But the sad fact is that also in many states, the time that these babies linger in foster care---and the hopeful adoptive parents have to endure the agony of whether their baby will stay or go, is VERY hard. At least in this state, this kind of scenario just isn't simple. It may take a LOT OF TIME before TPR of bio parental rights takes place.
If you're considering going the foster/adopt route, please keep this in mind. It can take nerves of steel, believe me.
Sincerely,
Linny
...I asked what happens to the babies and she said they were turned over to our DHS into foster care. ---nidomio
And, in many states, this may be true. But the sad fact is that also in many states, the time that these babies linger in foster care---and the hopeful adoptive parents have to endure the agony of whether their baby will stay or go, is VERY hard. At least in this state, this kind of scenario just isn't simple. It may take a LOT OF TIME before TPR of bio parental rights takes place.
If you're considering going the foster/adopt route, please keep this in mind. It can take nerves of steel, believe me.
Sincerely,
Linny
We're in Arkansas...that's how it works here. Sign up for a TPR already complete. Some foster parents here don't want to adopt the babies...they just take care of them until they've been placed in forever homes.
I am in CO. Our son's birthmom delivered him at the hospital then left shortly after. She did not hold him or want anything to do with him. B/c the state knew here name we had to wait 6 mths. for TPR; if they did not her name or did not have any other info on her TPR could have been done within 3 mths. We had one minor bump in the road, but overall our adoption was easy. I will say though for those 6 mths. everytime the phone rang my heart was in my chest!!! In the back of my mind I was worried someone would take him from us. In the end we finalized his adoption when he was 9 mths. old! We payed a total of $140.00. He qualifies for the adoption tax credit b/c his adoption was considered special needs. He gets to keep his medicaid until he is 18(that is why it is considered special needs) and he gets to keep his WIC. Overall he is healthy and happy!!!
Advertisements
Hi,
I noticed that the last post about this matter was a little over two years ago. Could someone assisst me with updated information. My husband and I was going to adopt a bi-raical infant two years ago however we were not able to do so due to circumtances. We are in the process of getting our homestudy updated. I contacted a consultant and was told that the prices have gone up and that all babies are looked at the same way. That they are no longer concerned special needs. Which is a good thing however that doesn't help my pocket book. Two years ago we were told that the price for a bi-racial infant was 16,000K now it is between 28K - 32K. Could someone direct me to agencies/attorney's or other options that would be cheaper than that. I am also looking into public adoption but was told that they don't many infants.
Thanks so much in advance :)
Our agency is sliding scale, so if you are the lowest income, the cost for any race infant would be $12,500. Legal fees and birthmother and travel costs would be extra, but you can opt to set your birthmother costs at $0 and only be open to situations with no or little travel. Average legal fees are around $1,000 all told, so it's a $13,500 adoption in the end (give or take).
PM if you're interested in the name.
If you go through an agency that works with foster/adopt the cost is minimal. We started with foster/adopt and after we were completed our agency called and said they had an infant placed by mom (she had no other chance, the state would have taken him). This was considered a private adoption and after tax, employment match we paid 6000.00. He is was born to a drug mom and had a few minor issues that any newborn could have. He is now 5 and shows no signs from the drug abuse.
RS86,
I am not able to PM you. Could you please PM me. I am really interested in the name of that agency.
Thanks so much :)
Advertisements
onerex1
RS86,
I am not able to PM you. Could you please PM me. I am really interested in the name of that agency.
Thanks so much :)
Can you PM me the agency too?