Advertisements
Advertisements
I have open adoption. Found birth mother. She wants nothing to do with me. And won't give me any info on birth father. I contacted her once by letter, and she threatened me with restraining order if I contacted her again. Trying to find birth father. Thinking about using social media. My adoption was completely open and over 41 years ago. Birth mothers house of cards built on covering up "the mistake" will fall if I go to social media. I tried to handle it privately. Sorry but I have right to find my birth father. Legally, does anyone know if she can do anything if I use social media? Open adoption again.
I'm not an attorney (but an adoption angel) and it's a free world and you have every right to use social media to find your birth father and even half siblings -- especially since this is an open adoption. I use it all the time to find relatives and friends to get at or find the particular person I'm looking for. Your birth mother may not wish to be contacted but a single contact from you does not allow her to bring about a restraining order....you'd have to be hassling her or stalking her or something threatening. This is a very twisted scenario and it's a shame you have to go through it.
Advertisements
I am not an attorney and do know know or understand all state laws related to adoption, however I did note in an article published on the internet that -- Some states that do allow birth parents to file contact vetoes or no-contact preferences may carry criminal penalties if violated by adoptees. Some of these may be Alabama, Alaska, Delaware, Kansas, New Hampshire, Oregon, and Tennessee, but you need to double check the laws for your particular state. (Information gleaned from)