Stepchild adoption in Ohio
My daughter is 2 and a half years old. She hasnt seen her biological father in over a year. He never bothered to come around. However he was paying child support until February of this year. I have remarried and my husband wants to adopt her. I have no idea where her biological father is he may possibly have returned to Mexico. I know he wouldnt sign his rights away. So how long since he has had no contact or payed child support is it considered abandonment so I can get his rights without consent so my husband may adopt her
Consent to Adoption

To better understand this issue and to view it across States, see the Consent to Adoption ([url=""]PDF[/url] - 777 KB) publication.

Who Must Consent to an Adoption
Citation: 3107.06
[list]The motherThe father:
[list]If the child was conceived or born while he was married to the motherIf he is the adoptive fatherIf he has established paternity
[/list]The putative fatherAny agency or person having permanent custodyThe court having jurisdiction to determine custody
[/list]Age When Consent of Adoptee is Considered or Required

Citation: ǧ 3107.06
A child 12 years of age or older must consent, unless the court finds that it is in the child's best interest to waive

When Parental Consent is not Needed
Citation: 3107.07
[list]The parent has failed to contact or provide for the child for 1 year.The putative father has failed to register with the putative father registry within 30 days of the childǒs birth.The putative father is not the actual father or has abandoned the child before or after birth.The parent has relinquished rights or has had parental rights terminated.The father or putative father is convicted of a rape that results in the conception of the child.A guardian or custodian withholds consent unreasonably.A parent or guardian is in a foreign country and child has been released for adoption pursuant to laws in that country.
[/list]When Consent Can Be Executed
Citation: 3107.08(A)
Consent cannot be executed until at least 72 hours after the child's birth.

How Consent Must Be Executed
Citation: ǧ 3107.08
Consent must be executed in the following manner:
[list]If by the adopted person, in the presence of the courtIf by an agency, before an authorized personIf by another person, before the court or an authorized personIf by a court, by an appropriate order
[/list]Revocation of Consent
Citation: 3107.084
A consent is irrevocable except if consent is withdrawn prior to the:
[list]Entry of the interlocutory orderEntry of the final decree, when no other order has been entered, after a hearing that finds withdrawal is in the best interest of the adopted person
[/list]From the Child Welfare Information Gateway
Thank you very much - I have been looking everywhere for this information. In this information it stated has no contact or financial support for a year. So if he was paying child support up until this year but has had no contact with her in over a year - can I get his rights now or do I have to wait for a year from when the child support stopped also.

I live in Ohio and in 1999 I adopted my 2 daughter in a step parent adoption. They require 1 year of no contact and child support both. If they father even shows on a phone bill where he has tried to call that counts as contact. If you have any questions please feel free to contact me. It took 6 months for it to go though but it was worth it.
Thank You very much
hopefully you will be able to do that..but I doubt. if am not wrong,the father himself must sign that he accepts someone else is adopting his child..try to contact a lawyer and ask for precise advice!
All times are GMT. The time now is 10:22 pm.