Advertisements
Advertisements
Advertisements
I was also adopted through NY Foundling....Lily Tinga born 02/08/1963 at St. Vincent's. I had written NY Foundling when I was a teen and they sent me some non-identifying info. I was going to write them once again asking for non-identifying info to see if they'd give me any more or different info and also to ask that, if my bfamily has contacted or ever does contact the agency in the future, that they have my permission to give them my name, address, and phone number. I also wanted to inquire about the foster family(s) that had me before I was adopted and ask if I could contact them to thank them for taking care of me....has anyone had any luck obtaining this info? I was also wondering if anyone knows if Wendy Fruend still works there. I'd hate to write and get nothing back. I'd love to know how your searches are going.
Anne
Hi Anne,
I spoke to her at this number:212-633-9300...never got the ext. and then I wrote for the info as she said to do. That was Feb. 16th...I guess I'm just impatient, I haven't heard anything yet...Good luck when you speak to her, she seems very caring...
Debbie
Hi Debbie! Thanks for the info....I'll make the call on Monday....I've been searching on and off since I was a teen...I guess having all these sources to use on the internet makes things easier. Hope your search for your sister is suucessful. Keep us informed!!
Anne
Thanks Anne and best wishes to you in your search...I drive to the post office everyday with high hopes of an answer to my letter, I've been thinking of going there in person, I'm about two hours from the city, and see if that could get it done faster! I am NEVER this impatient!!!! But I would love to know after 38 years, what became of our sister!!!
Will keep everyone informed
Debbie
Advertisements
I know what you mean about being impatient in regard to getting info....I've heard of adoptees going to the agency and sitting down with a social worker for more info. Although the social worker can't give you the info, they may excuse themselves to get a drink or go to the bathroom....leaving the file in plain view. They can't get in trouble for giving the info and yet they have no control over what you do while they're not there. It would be worth a shot....you could use the excuse that you had more questions or something. I live in MD now but it would be worth the trip if I came away with some key info.
Anne
Well I just got off the phone with Ms. Wintz in the records department and she said they have my letter and it would be answered in the order that it was received...okay, that's cool...I'm okay with that...means someone will get back to me sooner or later...
Anne, if I'm not happy with the info I do get, I've planned a road trip down there to go in person...with your friendly advice from the last post, thanks!
Just keeping in touch...
Debbie
Archive
Originally Posted By Bill
Seeking any information on adoptees who have had any sucess obtaining information about their adoption through the NYC Foundling home.
dear bill, if the hospital is still there, you can arrange for a social worker there to give you background info on your birthparents, w/out identifying them. youll need to send them a copy your birth certificate and something current license, whatever. you were probably born in the 5 boros, so you could go to the ny pub library on 42 st manhattan and go to genealogy room. if you bring your amended birthcertificate number, you can find a record of your birth in the books recording all live births in the city. its painstaking as there are many rhousands but you will find a number corresponding with your certificate number. your birthdate, as well as your birthname will be there. a social worker at the hospital sat me down and gave a presentation of the background info and a hard co[y for my records. hope this helps, God bless you, joe
Well Annie...received a letter today from Wendy Freund of the NYFH and found out that my sister was placed there Nov. of 1968 through June of 1969...and that she was born in 1967! So she was really only 16 months old when she was taken away!!!!! She was discharged to Little Flower House of Providence!!!! Has anyone heard of this place? Did a search and came up with a phone number but the school is not the same as in '69...talked to another woman there and she was great and gave me the number for records dept., here I go again:) So I left a message and will now wait for a call back. I'll keep you informed...
Debbie
Advertisements
Hi everyone...I'd like to share some good news ;)
A woman did call back yesterday morning, a very, very nice woman and told me that Lillian was adopted in the early 70's!!! I was so happy to know after all these years, she hadn't lived a life as an orphan that I was crying to this lady!
After I composed myself... :rolleyes: , she gave me a name and number of the agency that handled the adoption. I called straight away but had to leave a message.
Now comes the scary part...this nice lady calmy told me that the aparents might have put a request on the file that no birth family can get in touch with them, a very common practice, I guess. She said the agency will know, if that isn't the case, they will get in contact with aparents and give them my number and leave it in their hands...is this a common practice?
None the less...I feel better knowing she may have had a much better life...
Okay...that's that for now...I'm hanging in there :)
Debbie
Hi James I'm Dennis. I was born 3/18/59 in St. Vincents and adopted through NYFH also. It seems like there was so many of us around that time. I've just started my search. I wish you luck.
NON ID INFO:
______________________________________________________________________________________
"Your birth parents dated for four years. Your birth mother assumed
they would marry if she got pregnant. Your birth father felt he was
financially responsible to his family- his father was ill and he was
saving to put his sister through college. He suggested adoption and
marrying at a later date. Your mother broke off the relationship.
Your birth mother was referred for prenatal care by a nearby county
and they offered to pay her care. Her family doctor wanted her to
stop working because she had to lift heavy objects. He due date was
November 20.1961. She entered out maternity shelter on September 12,
1961. She adjusted well given this was her first separation from
home. Unfortunately, in October both her parents were laid off and
her mother had two cataract operations. Your birth mother came
somewhat depressed and was in panic. She was hospitalized twice for
false labor. She was evaluated and given sedatives. After a visit
from her mother and sister, she seemed to calm down. She was confined
in the hospital on October 29 th and you were born on October 30,
You remained in the hospital until you were six pounds. You came to
the Foundling on November 20th and you were baptized here on that
day. Your birth mother felt that after her mother died, unexpectedly,
from cancer, that she would be unable to surrender you. Eventually
she realized she was not in the position to raise you. Your paternal
grandmother wanted to keep you, but your birth mother felt this was
not in your best interest. Your birth mother surrendered you for
legal adoption on March 1, 1962.
You went into a foster study home on November 20th. You were
hospitalized for a hernia operation from January 8th until January
13th when you returned to your foster home.
Your birth father was twenty three years old and Italian American. He
had two years of high school and worked in fencing. He had a heart
murmur. He was five feet eleven inches tall and had average build
with blonde hair and brown eyes. He had an olive complexion.
Your birth mother was born in the Northeast in 1941. She quit high
school two months short of graduation in order to help support her
family. She worked in sales and as a secretary. She was five feet
seven inches and one hundred and eight pounds. She had brown hair
with red tints, blue eyes, and a fair complexion. She was described
as soft, gentle and close to her mother.
Your birth mother left the hospital on November 4th. She returned to
transport you to the foundling. After her mother died, she assumed a
lot of responsibility for her family. Your birth father offered to
marry her but she refused. An appointment was made for her to visit
you.
Your mother's family had financial problems. Her older siblings were
aware of you but not her younger ones. Her father was sixty and
worked in construction. He sprained his back in a serious accident
and was only able to work occasionally. Her mother was fifty seven
and from Canada. The records indicates she was french-Canadian. She
had a seventh grade education. She fell and had a back injury. She
had exploratory surgery shortly before she died from cancer on
December 4th.
Your mother had a thirty-seven year old brother who lived in the south
with his wife and two children. He was in good health and a high
school graduate. He worked as a truck driver. She had a thirty five
year old brother who lived in the Northeast with his wife and three
children. He did construction work and had a heart condition. She
had a thirty two year old sister who had a husband and three children
and lived in the northeast. She was a high school graduate. She had
another brother who was thirty and single. He lived at home. He had
one year of high school and worked in construction.
Your birth mother had a sixteen year old sister who was in school and
in good health. Her brother was fourteen and had polio when he was
seven. He was retarded in speech and delivered newspapers. After his
mother died he began to act out."
_______________________________________________________________________________________Thank
you to all who read...........
Paul Burrachio
Looking for my Beginning Family
Advertisements
Hi, there are several groups for ny adoptees and parents and siblings to get help. One group is nyadoptees.com and have volunteers to help. Please also check and post on [url=http://www.registry.adoption.com]Adoption Registry - Records, Reunion Registries, Adoptees, Search, Reunite, Birth Mother, Father, Pa[/url] database.
All siblings and parents and adoptees need to sign up with ny state registry as well as with isrr.net
Joan