Advertisements
Advertisements
Parental termination is next month and I am at a loss as to what happens next. can someone please explain how the subsidy works and what bennifits my boys will be eliledgeable for? I have heard that you negotiate things in the actual adoption and would love a heads up on what I am in for.
I'm going to guess your adoption is through the foster care system, right? If so, the adoption worker SHOULD be talking with you ASAP prior toany adoption proceedings. If not, you need to contact them to ask all about this!
By law, the foster care system is supposed to sit down and explain this stuff to you. It will include exactly what medical benefits your children will/could receive and any other extras. Typically, you would also receive a monetary adoption subsidy---generally the same as your foster care amount-each month until the child turns 18yrs old. Many adoption subsidies are negotiable--meaning, if there are other issues your child/ren are dealing with that might require more supports, it NEEDS TO BE written in your adoption subsidy agreement PRIOR to the adoption.
If you adoption is a private one-meaning, NOT through the foster care system, this info needs to be discussed with your agency or attorney.
If you have further questions that might not be answered here, please feel free to pm me. :)
Sincerely,
Linny
Advertisements
Thanks. Linny, yes it is through foster care. I am supposed to meet with a permanence case worker next month. This whole situation has been so strange and I have had to find out so many things on my own. Its like pulling teeth to get them to lead me in the right direction for anything. I really need to know what things I need to advocate for this little guy because at this point I feel like I am being led through a maze blind folded!
everybodysmomma
Thanks. Linny, yes it is through foster care. I am supposed to meet with a permanence case worker next month. This whole situation has been so strange and I have had to find out so many things on my own. Its like pulling teeth to get them to lead me in the right direction for anything. I really need to know what things I need to advocate for this little guy because at this point I feel like I am being led through a maze blind folded!
Not knowing the extent (if any) of any special needs, it's hard for me to say what you should advocate for....but keep this in mind:
*You* are the main advocate for this child if you're proceeding with adoption.
It is common practice for the system to diminish any concerns you may have regarding the child's special needs and/or behaviors. Try to look down the road at any potential problems you think you may be heading for.....try to imagine what your child may need for the future. The system is known for making you think many helps aren't necessary. Keep plugging along.
Is there a support group near you for parents who've adopted children from the system? If so, contact them ASAP and get their advice. Their suggestions may be invaluable because they know the area and have BTDT, KWIM?
Good luck to you...and again, should you have any questions not answered here, please feel free to pm me. :)
Sincerely,
Linny
May be to late, but here's information on Idaho's adoption assistance:
[url=http://www.nacac.org/adoptionsubsidy/stateprofiles/idaho.html]NACAC | Adoption Subsidy[/url]