Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi Everyone,
Hope someone can answer this for me.
I was 7 when I was told they were going to adopt me.
At 13 I got my first passport. In my 30's I went to get a new one. I applied using what I thought was my birth certificate. Was told at the Passport office in California this wasn't a BC. I proceeded to Sacramento CA where I filled out the required paper work and handed them the BC I had. He came back with there is NO BC for you. After several phone calls State of California Birth Records a nice gentleman did give me a nice official piece of paper with the information I gave him he did send me a nice fake BC to take to the Passport office. I took the new fake BC to the passport office this time I explained everything to them. I ended up speaking to someone higher up which he told me there is a flag on my passport had the first clerk paid attention none of this would be happened. I asked what type of flag informed he could not tell me nor speak of it. Just that it is there.
I thought everyone had a BC why don't I have one.
What kind of flag can be on my passport.
This is my best guess:
Since you were adopted at seven, your amended birth certificate (with your adoptive parents' names on it) would have been created seven years or more after your original one (with your biological mother's name on it), which now (since 9-11) sends up red flags.
Post-9-11, it's harder for some adoptees (those whose birth certificates were amended after a certain period of time) to get birth certificates.
You should have an original birth certificate out there. The original for all adoptees is sealed. In most states, you cannot access the original without a court order.
I'm sorry. That's all I know. I'm not really sure how you proceed to clear up this mess.
Here is some information about it for you:
[url=http://www.adoptionbirthmothers.com/us-adoptees-have-trouble-getting-passports-due-to-sealed-records-law/]US Adoptees Have Trouble Getting Passports Due to Sealed Records Law | Musings of the Lame[/url]
Advertisements
And, this is an informative thread for you:
[url]http://forums.adoption.com/adoptee-support/416495-passports-adoptees.html[/url]
I was born in 1958. I traveled in1971 Middle East. In 1983 was the beginning of finding out I have no amended BC. I keep my passport up to date. I will check the link you posted.
What is the adoption process like. I know that a family friend was the judge and lawyer that handle my case. I remember the day clearly as I was given a choice of middle names to pick from. Thank you
I was born in 1958. I traveled in1971 Middle East. In 1983 was the beginning of finding out I have no amended BC. I keep my passport up to date. I will check the link you posted.
What is the adoption process like. I know that a family friend was the judge and lawyer that handle my case. I remember the day clearly as I was given a choice of middle names to pick from. Thank you
Advertisements
If you went through the court system, which it sounds like you did, since you remember the day clearly, you have an amended birth certificate out there.
And, from what I've heard, people who have kept their passports updated have not had problems with keeping their passports. I've heard that the problems are for those who have never had a passport or who let their passport expire.
Hopefully others will chime in here.
Go to the Superior Court in the county where you lived at age 7 and petition the court to unseal your adoption file on the grounds (good cause) that you do not have a birth certificate, and it is causing problems with getting your passport.
Take the approved petition (it should come with a raised seal/approval along with your adoption file (you will likely have to print off copies from the micro fiche) to Vital Records and have them deal with creating or locating your birth certificate.
Take everything to the passport office and get it resolved. If that doesn't work then contact your state representative/senator and ask for their help.
Keep all records in a safety deposit box.
Kind regards,
Dickons
1 Liked
 likes this.
Thank you for the information. Yes I remember the day clearly of my adoption. Going into the judges office sitting in his lap It was just the two of us. Very private meeting. Nothing weird happened other then him asking questions. About my pets. Did I want to keep my name. My adopted mother claims she burned all records of my adoption.