Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello All,
Im not usually one to post granular information about my case(s) but the outcome of our current case is outrageous and needs to be publicized.
HereҒs our story:
Our FS came to our home straight from the hospital after his birth because his mom was incarcerated due to violation of parole (for shoplifting). His mother has 5 other children, none of which she raised, none of whom are in contact with her today, and at least one who was TPRd because mom has been a slave to her drug addiction for approximately 15 years. She was using heroin (and heaven only knows what else) during her first two trimesters with our FS until she was incarcerated. Upon our FS birth, all of her family declined to be involved because they want nothing to do with her Җ or her subsequent children for obvious reasons. Our FS֒ father is nowhere to be found.
Originally, our FS mom was supposed to serve 15 months for her crime without parole (since it was a repeat offense). However, she got what I call the ғdeal of the century and was let out of jail on the condition she participates in a residential rehab program. At the last hearing, DYFS ԓdidnt really press the issueҔ (in a caseworkers words) and our FSҒ Law Guardian was perhaps balancing her checkbook or jotting down a grocery list at the time, and a judge ruled that our FS could be placed with his mother in her treatment program if she stayed clean for 30 days. Not a typo folks 30 days after the woman was released from prison!
Of course I didn֒t take that blow sitting down. I wrote an essay, attached evidence, and requested that the mother be given a psychological evaluation before placement and overnighted it to the judges chambers Җ and then called to verify she read it! She didnt but I talked the judgeҒs legal clerk into talking to the judge for me and the clerk called back to tell me the judge said an attorney must request the amendment to the ruling. (Honestly, I knew I have no rights but figured I'd get the judge's attention; but more importantly, everyone elses!). I sent copies of the letter to the judge to our caseworker, caseworkerҒs supervisor, Law Guardian, and called the supervisor to ask her to get in touch with DYFS lawyer. You see, even DYFS was AGAINST reunification at this time! When I spoke to our FSҒ Law Guardian approximately 2 days before our FS was supposed to go to his mom, LG told me I made a mistakeӔ by writing and calling the judge and that I had an ulterior motive, to which I responded, But arenӒt YOU concerned about him going to his mom!? LG proceeded to tell me that she isnԒt concerned while mom is in supervised treatment. However, once she found out our FS was supposed to go within two days, she changed her tune, claiming she was out of the loop.Ӕ Then, once she found out our FS had only seen his mother one time for 1 hour since his birth, she decided to call his caseworkers supervisor.
Well, apparently DYFS felt motivated and they actually did delay reunification to give the mother a psychological evaluation, which did not go favorably for her apparently. So our FS gets to stay, right?.....WRONG. The judge stuck to her guns because, again, mom will be supervised and is essentially in jail at her drug rehabilitation facility Җ she cannot leave, cannot have non-relative visitors, or even make phone calls. Doesnt that sound like a lovely environment for children? We requested to meet with her but DYFS said her lawyer wouldnҒt allow it. Yes, heaven forbid she be given the opportunity to learn more about her son from the people who have been raising him since birth!
So now a mother, who has chosen drugs over her children for 15 years; who has never held a job, and hence, has no job skills; and who has never raised a child, will be taking in our precious angel tomorrow morning. And after she graduatesӔ from her drug treatment in 4 months or so, our beautiful FS will be used as a guinea pig - when his mother moves to Section 8 housing and goes on welfare in this judge֒s little experiment to establish whether or not mom can resist drugs and raise a child in a non-restrictive environment!
I need not say how furious I am. So furious, that I just penned three bills that I fully intend on pushing until I get a congressman/woman to sponsor each of them! First, parents should have to substantiate that they are able to take care of themselves in a non-restrictive environment before being entrusted with the care of their children. Second, DYFS needs to implement transitioning procedures so that children have the opportunity to get to know their parents before they move in with them. Its one thing to rip a child out of an abusive home for the sake of the greater good, but to rip a child out of a stable home to be placed in a halfway house, when there was ample time to work in multiple visits and overnight stays, is nothing short of CHILD ABUSE! Finally, any woman who gives birth to a baby who has drugs in its system should be prosecuted for harming a child!
This perhaps isnҒt the worst story weve read Җ and that is the truly outrageous part!
Your feedback is welcome and appreciated.
Jennifer