Advertisements
Advertisements
HI, Can anyone tell me which countries offer adoptions for older parents? If you've adopted, can you tell me what age limit your country has. Thanks!
p.s. if I get the info I'll write up a blog about it on the older-parent adoption blog.
Advertisements
The State Department website lists country specific info, including accepted age of parents.
[URL="http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_369.html"]http://www.travel.state.gov/family/adoption/country/country_369.html[/URL]
I adopted from China. China currently will accept married couples up to 55 and, in some cases, has accepted couples where one spouse is over 55 and the other is a good bit younger. Singles must currently be under 50, except for some Waiting Children. (There is also an 8% quota on singles, except for those going through the Waiting Child program.) China says that people 50+ should be "open" to a child over age three, but many people in that age range have gotten children under age two, because relatively few children in the 3-5 year old range are made available for international adoption.
Vietnam is liberal on age. In general, people under 50 can request an infant. People over 50 may be able to get young toddlers. Both married and single people may adopt.
Guatemala is also liberal on age. People under 50 can request infants, and even some older people may be able to adopt infants or young toddlers. Both married and single people may adopt.
Ethiopia allows people under 50 to adopt infants, and older people can adopt young toddlers. There is a one year length of marriage requirement for couples. Single women may adopt. First time parents may have to be open to a child of either gender.
Russia generally allows adoptions by people under 55. However, it generally limits adoptions by people over 50 to older children. One agency says that the mother should be no more than 47 years older than the child, but this may be agency-specific.
Sharon
Pretty tricky, MAV!
For starters, Vietnam, Ethiopia (agency-specific), China (but agencies differ), Rwanda, Liberia, those Sharon listed.
Don't forget Cambodia, for those not in countries with a suspension in place. Their cut-off is 55 for the youngest spouse.
It would probably be easier to list the countries with low top-age restrictions.
Minimum ages vary, as well.
Thanks for all the info! I'm going to work on a blog and it will post this weekend. This is important info for those of us wanting to adopt later in life......
Advertisements
Thanks for all for your help. I quckly got out my first post this morning on adopting from China ( thanks to Sak for her quote and Lisarno for ithe link)... and I'm going to start working on the next country...
Hi my husband is 65 and I am 56 we were approved for adoption and waiting to be matched with a child now we got a call and hopeful that we found a child we are in florida it's a long process but don't give up we are hoping for a 6yo and 11yo
Advertisements
I live in the pasco county area and I don't beleive there is an age limit my husband is 65 and I am 56 we are waiting for a match with a child now all our paperwork and home study was approved in November
and update to this thread.
Guatemala has since closed as well as Russia. I fear for the situation in Ukraine now as Crimea has been taken over by Russia their adoptions have gone in the way of Russian law.
Can anyone add to this?
Hi SAK! :-)
joy42 you don't really mention what country but it's not clear if you meant adoption from Florida. Was it private or foster adoption?
Thank you!
Sorry Joy42 I saw your first post just above mine and not the 2nd somehow. I saw you were matched and that you were in Fl., but I was not clear if you were matched for Fl, because the thread is about Int'l.
The 2nd post I am guessing means you are indeed adopting from Pasco county. Well that might help a friend I have hoping to adopt from Fl Foster.
How old is /was your child they matched you with?
Seems they should also consider hereditary longevity factors, and lifestyle in age refusals or acceptances. I don't plan on going anywhere until around 90-95. I also would have arrangements in place in case of slipping on a banana peel, or a more serious bicycle crash (one of my boys keeps telling me to be careful - "You're not getting any younger mom", lol).
Advertisements