Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I knew I had an article about this somewhere...from a China group...but rickets is rickets. [/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Tracie~ What no binky?! LOL!![/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS][/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Stephanie~[/FONT]
[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Because of Alex's RAD/AD...I figured that article may be of interest to you...we already know our kids have been effected by their pasts...so it stands to reason that if they are RAD/AD...there would be other issues with the pons as well. Interesting thread...[/FONT]
RICKETS
By Dr. Jane Aronson
Rickets is a failure of the proper development of growing bone. The predominant cause of rickets in orphanages abroad is nutritional deficiency of vitamin D due either to inadequate direct exposure to ultraviolet rays in sunlight or to inadequate intake of vitamin D, or both. Rapid growth in low birthweight infants predisposes them to rickets.
Over time, the bone shafts lose their rigidity and bones can be distorted making them at risk for fractures. The flaring of bone at the metaphysis of the bone can cause deformities such as the classic rachitic rosary seen in the ribs of young infants with rickets. Thickening of the wrists and ankles are the other early evidences of rickets. Vertebrae, pelvic bones, and long bones can be distorted. Bowlegs can be the result of rickets. Craniotabes due to thinning of the outer table of the skull is detected by pressing on the bone causing a ping-pong ball sensation. The anterior fontanel is enlarged and closure may be delayed past 2 years. The shape of the head may become box-like (caput quadratum) due to thickening of the parietal and frontal bones. Exaggerated sweating particularly around the head may also be present.
Months or years may be required to repair the deformities and in extreme cases complete repair may be impossible.
The alkaline phosphatase of serum which in normal children is less than 200 IU/dL, is elevated in mild rickets to more than 500 IU/dL. As rickets heals, the phosphatase value returns slowly to the normal range. In healthy infants, the serum phosphorus concentration is 4.5-6.5 mg/dL, whereas in rachitic infants it is usually reduced to 1.5-3.5/dL. The serum calcium level is usually normal, but under certain conditions it too is reduced, and tetany may develop.
Eruption of the primary teeth may be delayed and there may be defects of the enamel and extensive caries. Permanent teeth may also inevitably be affected. Muscles are poorly developed and decreased tone is common in rickets. Vitamin D is essential for the absorption of calcium and calcium is necessary for muscle function. Standing and walking are often delayed because of this decreased muscle tone.
Respiratory infections such as bronchitis and pneumonia are common in rachitic infants especially those infants with chest deformities. Anemia due to iron deficiency or accompanying infections often develops in severe rickets.
The treatment of rickets is vitamin D containing foods such as milk or formula which is fortified with vitamin D. Exposure to natural and artificial light is helpful. Some infants and children may require vitamin D supplements for weeks, months, or years.
Our Experiences with Sweaty Heads
*She did sweat when she took her bottle - profusely with her hair sticking to her head. We gave her bottle to her very hot. She also sweats in winter hats and in the summer.
*Kate would sweat very easily, can't remember if she would specifically break out in a sweat when given a hot bottle or not.
*Emily has a "hot head". She is a very warm blooded kid. Her hair gets wringing wet at times. What I 1st noticed though, was when she started to go to sleep, her head radiated heat. If she was laying with her head on my shoulder, I could feel her head heat up. I know when she is about to go to sleep because her head gets quite hot. year, the cool evenings will bother her hands.
*It seemed to go away after some time (at least it did for Caidi)... Caidi's head sweated a lot (Yangzhou) (but it was unbelievably hot there); Caia's never did (Dianbai)... Caidi was never diagnosed with rickets. She appeared to be healthy in every way.
*A sweaty head was very common in those first few months. She would sweat so much whenever she drank a bottle that her hair would be dripping. 17 months after coming home, she still sweats when playing hard, but not nearly as much as she used to.
*Bethany had the sweatiest head I have ever seen. When we fed her a hot bottle, she would positively DRIP! It stopped once we were home, but on the hot day we had a few weeks back, she was quite sweaty, particularly around the scalp area! I wonder if there is a medical/nutritional reason for this?!?
*Our daughter also had a very sweaty head and probable rickets.
*She had a very, very sweaty head, especially upon drinking her bottle. In fact, all 6 girls in our group (mostly 10-11 months old) also had sweaty heads.
*And like all the others, she does have an excessively sweaty head. I did read somewhere that it is linked to rickets. Our daughter was a special needs child who was classified "mild rickets" causing a "chicken chest" on her medical records. I guess they call it pigeon chest in the U.S. She has a small indent in her chest and I've seen a lot of toddlers, even from U.S., with similar bone structures. We give her as much milk as she can drink and she gets lots of Hawaiian sunshine and has a beautiful tan. Anyway, with activity, she does get very sweaty.
*Her sweaty head was only on feeding her - and in China I put it down to her hot bottles - which she liked practically "boiling". This sweaty head has disappeared almost completely with her since she has been home with us. Her sweat smelt differently too - and my mother felt that it was due to her being fed "pork bone soup and such like" - as she had been.
*My daughter sweats like she is running for miles, even if she is in an air-conditioned room. I'll never forget her first day of daycare at 2 years of age, when while I was signing in, she called from behind me "Mommy, Mommy, buggy, buggy." There she was in a little jettney (like down the beach, if you understand what I'm talking about), with three other children who looked immaculate, and there she was, with her hair in wet strands and sweat all over her face. It was also one of the happiest times I ever saw her. She doesn't like a lot of covers when she sleep and perspires if she is covered with more than one blanket.
*She sweats, is it alot? I do not think so. She gets active and sweats.
*To this day Mallory still complains of being hot all the time. She loves to run around the house in panties or less.
*Amy does get hot very easily, from the first day we met her until now. Her head and face get sweaty very easily.
*Mia has a very sweaty head. She was drenched in China with all the layers of clothes on. Even now when she's active (which is always) her head is damp. We had some real hot days a few weeks back and my older two came home from school and thought that I had poured water on Mia's head. My older two did sweat as babies but nothing like Mia does. She also does not like a blanket at night. I try to sneak one on her when she's asleep, she just looks so cold and alone with no covers on!
*Our daughter, Jasmine, sweats like crazy!!! I bath her and wash her hair everyday. If we are going somewhere in the evening, I must wash her hair again. She is 2 1/2 and plays all day, but she has sweated like this since the day we got her. She does not want any covers or sheets on her - and will kick them off, even in her sleep. She will sweat mostly when she plays, cries or becomes frustrated. So when we are taking her somewhere nice, we have to keep her entertained without letting her play hard, plus keep her happy so she doesn't cry or get frustrated - needless to say, that is quite a challenge.