Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
Hello there. I'll try to make it short. Alex has been home now for almost 2.5yrs. He just turned 6 in July. Alex overheats WAY TOO easily. I talked to his pediatrician who btw, doesn't know his head from a hole in the ground. sorry but he's the one who misdiagnosed the urgency of my DH needing surgery when he got bit by a spider. They think it was a brown recluse as the flesh was starting to die around the bite. He also said to get our other son new boots instead of clubfoot surgery. So figure me if I don't hold him in high regards but healthcare there is free. Anyways, he told me alot of kids get over heated easily. Hello, I have a few kids and that's just not true.
Now, I mentioned this to my neurologist and she did run bloodwork on him. All came back normal. She said we could go to an endocrinologist but they'll just treat the symptoms anyways. So that's what we've been doing w/ Alex. Treating the symptoms. He knows to wear a hat outside and before he goes out, he saturates it in water. He constantly has to pour water over his head to remain cool.
Let me explain what happens to him and maybe some of you might have ideas of what is going on and suggestions on how to help him better. Also, let me say that it is NOT the meds he's on as this happened before he started them and I also verified w/ the neuro to make sure it was not a side effect. It doesn't have to be hot out either. We are in the south. It was in the 70's, nice breeze and he lasted around 5 minutes before he had to come sit down. Last week, he and Max went for a bike ride. He soaked his hat in water & put it on his head before going out w/ his brother. Told Max to get him back immediately if any signs happen. He brought him back about 15 minutes later. Alex was beat red in the face. Completely flushed. He looked as though he was ready to pass out. We got ice in a rag and put it on his head. Made him sit down. It took 30 minutes or so for the redness to go away. Today, we were at the park this morning. Nice weather at the time. Low 80's, not much humidity, etc. Well, he's swinging at the park and says, Mom, I'm tired. That's a sign he's getting too hot. His face was also starting to get red. So we go home to cool off, drink, etc.
So, any suggestions. We carry water everywhere we go. Do what we can. But he wants toplay like the other kids but gets way too over heated. Any ideas are greatly appreciated. Do you think we should go to an endrocrinologist? Anyone have similiar experiences w/ their kids? What did you do?
Thanks in advance.
Take care,