Advertisements
Advertisements
Viewing Single Post
[QUOTE=swissSA]
Although, given the slew of policy-influencing factors at play, like foreigners also being allowed to adopt from SA, international humanitarian considerations, health concerns and cultural differences that exist within South Africa itself (to name but a few), the government would be hard-pressed to justify barring SA citizens from adopting internationally based on the "we've got plenty" argument.
QUOTE]
Well, I'm not sure I agree with you here, although again, I have no idea if they plan on making it impossible (or next to it) or not. In terms of foreigners being allowed to adopt, that's because there isn't enough domestic adoption happening, and of course because of overwhelming need.
Health concerns? Personally (and of course adoption is personal) but I would be far more concerned about the health of a child in an institution in Eastern Europe than SA - if the concern is HIV, that can easily be tested for and ruled out, while FASD is almost impossible to diagnose. Not to mention if I had the choice, I would take on a child who has HIV long before a child with any form of FASD. Just look at all the stories of people suing agencies over missing info on their Russian-born children, or the woman in Tenessee who recently "returned" her adopted son to Russia due to alleged serious psychological issues.
Cultural differences - well, yes, I do think it would be challenging to raise a black child as a Caucasian parent in SA. Very challenging, all the way around.
Anyways, good luck with your adoption plans, hope it all works out as it should!