Advertisements
Advertisements
Hi,
I am trying to write for my mother's adoption records .We know is that her adoption traces back to St. Mary's hospital Qubec Canada.We are Americans. She`was born in 56 or 57. I can find everything for Ontario but all I got for Quebec is a phone number to the Batshaw youth and family services which I called and never received a call back .Her adopted family won't help her and thinks she doesn't need to know where she came from. My mother desperately wants to know. Does anyone know how to acquire adoption records from Quebec Canada?
Advertisements
Hi,
I am going through similar. I went on the Quebec Social Services site and was able to print off and fill out an application requesting my information at time of birth. This is new for me and they only opened up the adoption records in June of last year, after a recommendation from the Standing Senate committee that finally looked into the roughly 600,000 'forced' adoptions between 1945 and 1971 that took place in Canada. It takes awhile. I sent application in March. Received confirmation of the receipt of my application and information and am now awaiting the results of the search, which I was informed of via letter, started in August.
oops....submitted response too quickly. Shellgirl,
It is a long process, but it is a good place to start. Print off and fill out the application and courier it to Quebec. (It will cost about 30 dollars, but it will take only a couple of days to get there) You may have a bit of a wait, but they will send you a letter of confirmation when they have received it. I have tried to attach the link to the site, but am not sure i did it correctly. best of luck to you in your search!